What the Tech: Infographic about harmful app UI design building blocks (discussion)

Let me know when y’all are able to deactivate the old account and I will switch the name after

2 Likes

I think that the few people on the main core team should have the login credentials to the social media channels and other online accounts. That way it is a sign of trust and of collaboration. It’s important for these kinds of things to be a true team effort. It’s important to have a core team set, with 3-5 people who can agree on actions and also take into consideration the voices of the rest of the community.

I would also expect diverse people on the core team all the way to the top to counterbalance the over-represented techie stereotype, due to different types of strengths and weaknesses that each person can bring.

I think it’s ok to discuss this in the open here. I don’t consider myself a candidate for the core team.

3 Likes

That is right, Alex. When I saw this needs dedicated spyware app, no browser possible I gave it lowest prio. Pls prepare a PM with the person to do handover with.

Note: For HTC official artwork I highly prefer the brand new, splendid and decentralized (ActivityPub) pixelfed.org (and our humanetech on pixelfed.social).

1 Like

Is everyone okay with this?

Important: On tool selection…

A very big disadvantage of this choice is openness and possible vendor lock-in!! You are imho too casually introducing a new tool. Yet one more account to create, external url to manage and train yourself in to truly be an ‘integrated’ participant.

For now it is fine, but I will not create an account there yet, so I’ll miss out on this fun. Also remember OL7 team, how chaotic and confusing Mozilla have their tools arranged.

Let’s please avoid that at all cost. All you do now will be wasted maintenance - truly boring stuff - later!

Personally I think that having so many Community Team members spending time on these general topics is an example of getting priorities wrong. Reorganisation planning first, I’d say. Don’t build pyramids without a plan, or failure is on your path for sure.

1 Like

We’ve had this discussion and we need to be where the target audience is. I even check Instagram via the web only and have never ever posted and have never installed the app. Instagram is more valuable than Facebook these days, so it would be shortsighted not to try to alert its users to the dangers they face and possibly try to call them to collective action.

Being on Instagram, posts could be about the dangers of being on Instagram and Facebook and collective action.

As to the login credentials, I think these ideally will never have to be in the hands of just one person. But obviously one of the people Siddhi and whoever else is interested. Not me I do not dedicate enough time.

Yes unfortunately I think we have many quiet disagreements on how to reorganise the forums. The recent change in community structure has made it harder to come to a shared vision. With a new community structure there is also the chance of coming to different decisions. Again I’ll bring up the need for a core team (not including myself as I think the members should be mostly non-geek types) and this core team of 3-5 people is needed to actually decide things while working in open collaboration with the entire community.

5 Likes

I agree with @Free. This was the goal behind creating What the Tech to begin with. The people in danger are on the mainstream platforms, so we need a presence there to combat them. Using Instagram without the app is relativly easy. Thats how I have been posting ect

2 Likes

We can also use Canva open-ly, though ot may not itself be open. Anyone can join teams and we always document the changes both in the forum and outside of it. Also long as we are constantly collaborating and displaying the process and the opportunities are open, the project can still be considered open

2 Likes

Yes, and that is my fault, and I apologize. I was too rash for various reasons, but things are really moving now, just need some first plans as guiderails and some grease.

1 Like

I agree with @sidnya and @Free, we need to convey our messages on the most used platforms, otherwise our impact is minimum.

2 Likes

Sorry, this thread is getting to long for me to entirely catch up. But as I see it you can find lotsa information from studying Dark Patterns, like on darkpatterns.org and the related Dark Patterns Twitter account (where many more examples pass the feeds, without being recorded on the website).

2 Likes