Social media addiction and cyber crime in economically backward countries

Hello, My name is Biswa. I am founding president of non profitable organization in Nepal. Our organization is Living Around Technology. My team is researching on the cyber crime and social media addiction in our country . And as per our research we present awareness programs in different institution and community .
Our survey is giving the devastating results like kids are on high social media and game addiction, some of the youth are in depression due to social media. Cyber crime is in its peak level. Culture of our nation is in danger due to mind washing by social medias like facebook and instagram.
Its time to make huge change, its high time. We need help . We are students and fresh graduates. We lack funds to work. We save our pocket money to contribute in research and presentation. If any one in this community is willing to help us make change with broad vision please do contact me .
Thank you .

1 Like

Dear Biswa,

Do you know Samrat Upadhyay? He teaches at Indiana University. I would recommend your contacting him. Perhaps he can help in some way.

i will contact Mr.Samrat after the meeting in my organization. i feel blessed that you are giving so much positive interest and such willingness to help. thank you. god bless you. Please keep messaging, keep suggesting us.

Happy to help, Biswa.

I don’t know if this article, which I just came across, will interest your members, but here is the link in case:

Biswa, I just looked at your page of The International Youth Council. How fortunate Nepali youth are to have you working on their behalf.

If you will send me your mailing address, I will send you a copy of our Nepal issue. (Please do it in a private message to protect yourself.)

Hello Biswa,

Here is a new article for you:

A paragraph from the article (I’ve put in boldface the important part):

Listening to music on Spotify is surely a net positive: Providing an endless selection of tunes with infinite playlists, it opens up rich new worlds. The service also makes sharing with friends very easy. It allows Alex to expose his children to Bach, Mozart, John Coltrane, and Celia Cruz, all from one easy screen, the same screen from which they hear music by Nicki Minaj, the Gym Class Heroes, and Kendrick Lamar. But this example shows the importance of consciously designing the style of our engagement even with a technology application whose use is, by and large, positive.

hi patricia,
i have read it . its very useful article. the questions are will be very helpful to our programs. we will convert in our social context and ask some of those to our audiences in awareness program. thank you. keep motivating us. god bless you.

hi patricia,
i have one query that if i see someones post that matches theme to our work, then can i message them privately ?

Yes, of course.

Here is a list, which I prepared for someone else, of tips that may help you:

thanks patricia,
this will be quite helpful and i am following some of the points you mentioned. i am studying more and more posts in this community. its great community to know many many things that can be helpful to us.

1 Like

Biswa, the following is from an article summary that WIRED magazine sent out today:

In 2011, when the military dictatorship came to an end in Myanmar, Facebook was practically unknown in the Southeast Asian nation. But as the country lifted restrictions on telecommunications and began opening up to the internet, connectivity exploded. Mobile phone usage went from 1 percent of the population in 2011 to nearly 90 percent today. Along the way, Facebook became the de facto source of news in the country.

And according to Timothy McLaughlin, who spent almost five years working as a reporter in Myanmar for a local newspaper and as a reporter in the Yongon bureau of the Reuters news agency, the sudden expansion of connectivity led to a flood of fake news—much of it hate speech targeting Rohingya Muslims. That in turn helped spark ethnic strife and violence between the country’s majority Buddhists and its minority Muslim population.

Facebook was not prepared for the consequences of its users’ posts. The company was plagued by “a slow response time to posts violating Facebook’s standards, a bare-bones staff without the capacity to handle hate speech or understand Myanmar’s cultural nuances, and an overreliance on a small collection of local civil society groups to alert the company to possibly dangerous posts spreading on the platform.”

Dear Biswa,

My name is Luis and I am from Peru. Please let me know how I can connect with you. I co-founded a non-for-profit organization in my country that is doing the exact same thing. We have found the same problem in Latin America and we are working with children at risk, their parents and teachers to raise awareness of this huge problem! We would like to collaborate with your organization.

Best,

Luis

2 Likes

Hi Patricia, This is the truth. This is just one part of the whole problem. There are a lot of problems a lot. Thinking of it saddens any one who realize the problem. This article covers theme of the problem caused by social media and technology. Our stories also need these kind of support from magazines so that people who want to help can notice work. There are long terms and short term problems which are to be prevented as soon as possible.

Hello Luis. Its pleasure to know that you are working in this field too. Whole world has this problem. We need to work in collaboration to make some distinct impact in our respective society. You can mail me in my email. biswa.infolat@gmail.com so that we can talk more on this soon. please do check our site www.livingaroundtechnology.org . And if you have website please let me know . Thank you.

Good job Biswa. Your effort to save Nepalese youth from disaster is great.