Seeking academic and carrer advice to make an impact

Hello all!

I am a 3rd Year Liberal Arts and Engineering Studies Major, studying at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, California. This unique program that I am a part of allows students to choose an Engineering concentration and Liberal Arts concentration; for these I have chose Comptuer Science (my previous major) and Psychology.

I am currently looking for guidance on where to go – both academically and career wise. I know that my goal is to become an expert in Human Tech, which I believe will put me more on the psychology side. However, after I graduate from Cal Poly next year I’m not sure where to go next. I’m most likely going for a Master’s in HCI, but also considering a Ph.D and potentially doing Cognitive Science. The top two graduate schools I’m looking into are Carnegie Mellon University and Georgia Tech.

I have quite a few questions, if you can advise in any of these areas it would be greatly appreciated!

1. For starters, is HCI is the best choice to make an impact in Humane Tech?
  2. M.S or Ph.D?
  3. If I do a Master’s program I will have at least one summer where I’ll be looking for an internship (I am interning at Facebook this summer). Are there any companies you’d suggest I look for an internship with for the summer of 2019?
  4. Once I attain my graduate degree, where should I look to get involved with afterwards? I’m not sure if I want to be a researcher, a product manager, or something different yet. Do you have any insights on where this career path might take me?

I’m very excited to get involved with Humane Tech! I look forward to where my academic studies will take me, and hope that one day I can gain the expertise to design software that really focuses on being nothing more than a tool; to design software that lets the user go; to design software that instead of taking advantage of human vulnerability enables human strength.

Thank you for any advice you can give to help me advance my career!

1 Like