Junto just launched their Kickstarter campaign today and I thought you all might be interested in it. I’ll just highlight some points from their campaign to give you an idea of what it’s about:
"Junto is a collective effort to move beyond the restrictive norms, addictive qualities, mental health consequences, and privacy concerns produced by social media platforms today.
Through integrating a consciously designed interface, distributed technology, and a nonprofit approach, we’ve created a new breed of social media in the spirit of authenticity. Our intention is to embrace a full spectrum of intelligences and styles of communication. We invite all of you to help accelerate this shift towards a decentralized internet and cultivate an atmosphere that inspires each individual’s most natural form of expression."
"Things we’re doing less of:
- No advertisements
- No rating systems, like buttons, or mandatory follower counts
- No AI-powered feeds that reinforce existing beliefs
- We don’t own, track, or sell your data
- We don’t censor information outside of the legal scope of our terms and services.
Things we’re doing more of:
- Creating an intuitive, human-centric interface
- Identity verification accessible to all members
- Ability to direct your own discovery of information
- You customize the organization and content of your feeds and filters
- A dynamic center for expression with an ever-expanding number of mediums
- Our technology is open-source; our codebase is transparent for everyone to review to make sure we are keeping our word and open to any developers wanting to contribute
- In the near future, we will provide people with the ability to donate to their favorite independent creators"