[post was moved from Welcome from Tristan Harris, co-founder of CHT]
Thank you for coming forward. I too am an industry insider who has come forward with information that the public needs to know in regards to predatory surveillance and data mining business practices rooted in Surveillance Capitalism.
I’m a wireless industry veteran that includes smartphone application development (VP/GM- Houdinisoft). I also have senior executive experience in regards to managing wireless carriers. I currently have an application that I’ve developed going through the patent process.
I would love to help in any way possible. I recently sent information to senators Richard Blumenthal and Senator Ted Cruz to help them prepare for the Mark Zuckerberg congressional hearings put on the Senate Judiciary Committee.
At the request of Senator Ted Cruz’s office, I have recently authored a policy change proposal- Electronic Bill of Rights that I’m submitting to lawmakers (see enclosed links for details).
I also speak at tradeshows on the subject matter of privacy & cyber security threats posed by Surveillance Capitalism (IWCE- Defense Industry/Critical Infrastructure): https://www.iwceexpo.com/iwce18/public/SpeakerDetails.aspx?FromPage=Speakers.aspx&ContactID=1173700
Facebook Cambridge Analytica & Surveillance Capitalism- Systemic Privacy Threat
The privacy, cyber security, and consumer & child exploitation threats brought to light by the Facebook Cambridge Analytica incident are systemic to all online services such as social media and connected products supported by predatory surveillance and data mining business practices rooted in “Surveillance Capitalism”.
Lawmakers, the FTC, FCC, DOJ, DHS and other relevant agencies need to address Surveillance Capitalism as a whole due to the fact that data driven technology providers such as Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Samsung, Amazon and other tech giants have adopted the Surveillance Capitalism Business Model.
Until the Surveillance Capitalism business model is changed or eradicated, our privacy, cyber security, and technology user exploitation problems will not go away which is why we need regulation.
The specific problems that need to be addressed are as followed:
- Intrusive technology products that require payment to participate
- Consumer & child exploitation- “Effective Consent” Users are not giving lawful permission to be surveilled and data mined by their technology providers due to unfair business & deceptive trade practices
- Artificial Intelligence (“AI”), predictive analytics, and suggestive technology (manipulating the product user)
- Privacy & cyber security threats
- Multisource data mining apps
- Trusted Partners (civil liberty concerns- state actors)
- Conflict of interest & unfair business competition
- Protected (due process/4th amendment) telecom infrastructure governed by the FCC
- Privacy, cyber security, & civil liberty concerns
- Threats to confidential & protected environments (legal agreements, cyber security standards & confidentiality laws)
- Purposely designed addictive, harmful, intrusive and exploitive technology
- Lack of control over technology that requires payment to participate
- Fraud inducement (misleading advertising/sales process)
- Child privacy, safety, and exploitation
- Harmful use of personal and professional Digital DNA
I would love to collaborate with Humane-Tech on getting regulations and/or legislation passed that will protect consumers and children from data driven technology providers who employ predatory surveillance and data mining business practices.
My reports and analysis were used by the Department of Homeland Security for their Study on Mobile Device Security which was published in April of 2017: https://www.dhs.gov/publication/csd-mobile-device-security-study My company RML Business Consulting, LLC is listed on page 97 of the DHS study as a contributor.
WND wrote an article “You’ve Already Clicked Away Your Privacy Rights” on my efforts to help the senators in regards to the Mark Zuckerberg congressional hearings: http://www.wnd.com/2018/04/youve-already-clicked-away-your-privacy-rights/
If you want to learn more about me and my advocacy you can visit my website My Smart Privacy at: www.MySmartPrivacy.com
For more information on Surveillance Capitalism, you can read the article “Surveillance Capitalism- The Need For An Electronic Bill of Rights” that I authored at: http://nebula.wsimg.com/f252bc5bc8dd7e86762697a4eb3cec3b?AccessKeyId=1DB03EC87337BD12896A&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
I’ve authored the framework for a policy change proposal-Electronic Bill of Rights that I’m submitting to law makers around the world. To view the policy change proposal- Electronic Bill of Rights click on this link: http://nebula.wsimg.com/adc9bdf1fb564fdfa1534f0d5d084c19?AccessKeyId=1DB03EC87337BD12896A&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
Again, let me know how we can collaborate and/or how I can help you all in any way. You can contact me at: RLee@RMLBusinessConsulting.com
Again, thank you for coming forward and your efforts to help bring changes that will protect technology users especially children.
I look forward to hearing from you.