Surveillance Capitalism-Consumer Exploitation

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post and I’m glad to be a part of the community. I’m Mobile Threat Consultant and a Technology Journalist. I write about Privacy & Cyber Security Threats plus Consumer Exploitation posed by Surveillance Capitalism which is centered on the exploitation of the technology user.

We hear so much about the addictive nature of connected technology but not enough about the exploitation of the user including children. In addition we do not hear enough about the privacy and cyber security threats posed by the predatory surveillance and data acquisition (“data mining”) business practices.

The Surveillance Capitalism business model seeks to exploit the technology user for financial gain at the expense of privacy, safety, and cyber security. To learn more visit My Smart Privacy at: www.MySmartPrivacy.com Hope the topic gets some legs- Rex

3 Likes

hi @MySmartPrivacy and welcome to the community!

Our thoughts must have crossed, because I just wrote something along the same lines: Privacy is fundamental to Humane Tech :slight_smile:

1 Like

The very nature of distractedness with tech use keeps this a huge issue. There are so many huge issues that relate to this subject like use of techn in schools. When kids “graduate” from their grade school google reels the kid in and the account information used all throughout the child’s education history becomes part of google. There is no legislation regarding education privacy.

Frankly I believe the issues are stacking up because our world is distracted from one crisis to another- never processing or fixing any one problem due to distractedness. Out attention is no longer ours anymore.

The people being exploited here, are people who havent found their voice. Once kids have a voice they will already be “captured” and the distraction cycle starts again…

Agree. As I stated to another person on this site, the term that this community needs to adopt is “Surveillance Capitalism” in regards to the business model that supports online services such as Facebook and/or connected products supported by the android OS, Apple iOS and Microsoft Windows OS.

Surveillance Capitalism is the root problem in regards to predatory surveillance and data acquisition (“data mining”) business practices employed by data driven technology providers such as Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, BAIDU, and other tech giants who are in the business to exploit technology user’s for financial gain at the expense of privacy, safety, and cyber security.

The solution is simple, we need an Electronic Bill of Rights to protect consumers and children from data driven technology providers who employ predatory surveillance and data mining business practices especially when it comes to products and services that require payment to participate such as smartphones.

People need to get off their A$$ and get involved by engaging law makers. Especially industry insiders who claim that there is a problem yet refuse to take action in regards to engaging law makers. Look we all know there is a huge problem and it is getting worse so what we need to focus on are solutions and taking action.

I wrote a policy change proposal- Electronic Bill of Rights that I’ve been submitting to law makers such as senators and congressional representatives plus I’ve submitted the policy change proposal to my service providers such as AT&T coupled with official consumer complaints against their business partners that include Google & Apple.

The policy change proposal- Electronic Bill of Rights highlights numerous privacy & cyber security threats, consumer & child exploitation & safety threats, unfair business competition, and unfair business & deceptive trade practices that need to be addressed by privacy & consumer advocates (EFF, Time Well Spent, etc.), mainstream media, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, the FTC, FCC, DOJ, CTIA, law makers, and other relevant parties.

For more information go to this link and click on the green button: http://www.mysmartprivacy.com/electronic-bill-of-rights.html Regards- Rex

Some good news:

I don’t have an Apple device, but if you have one you should certainly read this. Especially if you ‘protect’ yourself with the Onavo Protect data security app (hint: owned by FB):

Apple has updated its rules to restrict app developers’ ability to harvest data from mobile phones, which could be bad news for a Facebook-owned data security app called Onavo Protect.

It may sound like good news but you have to peel the onion back and see what is really going on in regards to Apple’s surveillance and data mining business practices.

Apple products are no more private or secure than Google or Facebook due to Apple’s surveillance and data mining business practices.

Apple is monitoring, tracking and data mining their paying customer’s for financial gain at the expense of the Apple customer’s civil liberties, privacy, cyber security and safety due to the fact that Apple’s terms of use do not indemnify (protect) the product user from harm even if Apple is negligent with the customer’s personal information (i.e. Jennifer Lawrence & Apple ICloud Hack).

In some regard, Apple is worse than Facebook because an Apple user is paying Apple upwards of $1,000 for an iPhone that is supported with intrusive and exploitive preinstalled content (apps, widgets, etc.) programmed to enable the developer to surveil and data mine the product user for financial gain.

An Apple product user has to pay for the product where as Facebook is free, not that I’m defending Facebook’s surveillance and data mining business practices either their business practices suck as well. I’m Just making a point consumers of connected technology need to understand.

To prove my point, I filed a privacy complaint with the FCC against T-Mobile in 2015 that produced an astonishing admission from T-Mobile who admitted that connected products supported by the android OS and Apple iOS are not private or secure forms of telecommunications and computing due to surveillance and data mining business practices employed by all parties concerned. Don’t take my word for it, read T-Mobile’s admission yourself:

“We, too, remember a time before smartphones when it was reasonable to conclude that when you activated service with T-Mobile that only T-Mobile would have access to our personal information. However, with the Samsung Galaxy Note, the iPhone, and many other devices, there are indeed a variety of parties that may collect and use information.” — T-Mobile Privacy Team (FCC Consumer Complaint #423849 Filed by Rex M. Lee/Public Record).

The T-Mobile admission is nebulous and to this day there are questions that need to be answered such as:

“What entities make up a “Variety of Parties”?”

“How does each entity use, share, sell, purchase and aggregate the product user’s surveillance data (e.g. location data) and sensitive user data collected from telecom related product supported by the android OS and Apple iOS?”

“Is the product user’s surveillance data and sensitive user data ending up in the hands of data brokers, state actors, bank & insurance underwriters, employers, business competitors, institutions of higher learning, law enforcement or any other entity that can bring harm to the product user?”

These questions need to be answered for after all who wants to pay for harmful and exploitive telecommunication products such as an Apple iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy Note?

At the end of the day, we all have become “uncompensated information producers” who are being exploited for financial gain at the expense of our civil liberties, privacy, cyber security and safety by companies we patronize with our loyalty, trust and hard earned money such as Google, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon and other tech giants who support a Surveillance Capitalism business model that supports products and services that require payment to participate.

We are buying intrusive and exploitive connected products and producing a valuable commodity in the form of surveillance and sensitive user data while our technology providers collect, use, share, sell, purchase and aggregate the valuable commodity for financial gain without compensating the product user who produces the valuable commodity in the first place. This is called "cyber-enslavement’

The Matrix Has You… Follow the White Rabbit to My Smart Privacy to Learn More: http://www.mysmartprivacy.com/articles.html

Regards- Rex

1 Like