San Francisco Chapter / Meetings

Sign me up. Let me know how I can help.

Hi all! I’m really interested in a meet up as well. I’ve been a high school teacher for 7 years and now working outside the classroom on this topic after seeing over the years how my students were impacted by having increasing access and addiction to digital technology (all eventually having a SmartPhone in their pocket). Would love to see what others are doing and talk about what we can do as a community. My work is with Wise Tech Ed where we’re working in this movement to transform youth and families’ relationship to digital technology and increase their human connection. Excited to keep building community around this important issue!

3 Likes

Hi everybody !!!
I think that Its healthy and wise to propose meetings I'm not living in the Bay Area, but I'll be so interested to keep in touch. I will spend some weeks in SF during next December and January, so I’ll be so grateful to share a meeting with you.

Hey guys,

It would be amazing to have a chapter in San Francisco. I’m willing to volunteer and do whatever it takes to get this local community up and running. Let’s make it happen.

1 Like

I’m interested as well. I guess we need to figure out how often we’d want to meet, how we’d want to structure the time, and content we want to cover. What’s the best way for us to identify these things?

1 Like

I am based in Atherton. Please let me know of any meet ups. I could potentially host.
Diana

1 Like

I live in Oakland and would love to help set up an event. Maybe we could have an informal meeting during the last week of May or the first week of June?

It doesn’t need to be fancy – perhaps a few of us could get together at a coffeehouse in SF? I’m also willing to get coffee one-on-one with others who are interested in humane technology.

Anyone who wants to make this happen can email me at willismattei@gmail.com or post here.

5 Likes

Hi,
I got your message regarding civility social.

Please add me to the list. I’ll attend as I’m able.

Thanks.
John

Civility is the pilot experiment I’m working on. The meetup is separate from the project :slight_smile:

And sounds good. The 26th is the most popular date at the moment.

2 Likes

Hey everyone- we are having our first meetup in Palo Alto at May 19 from 4-6pm.

For more information regarding the meetup and location, feel free to reach out through email: willismattei@gmail.com

6 Likes

Also, I recently created a Facebook group for all of us who live in the Bay Area. As much as I love this forum, it’s a lot of work to message everyone individually. Until further improvements are made, using Facebook (for now) will make it easier for us to invite more people into our community, connect with more like-minded folks, and to organize our meetups more efficiently in the near future:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1727966153956617/?fref=gc&dti=273426263115739&hc_location=ufi

3 Likes

Hi Ferj

Please add me to the list

1 Like

For those of us not on Facebook I think a newsletter for the SF crowd would be valuable.

I’d be more than willing to pay for hosting of an open source mailing list client such as phpList or MailTrain, and make sure creds are shared equitably amongst relevant community organizers.

Outreach would be light, ideally once a month, to recap on meetup discussions and forecast any special events or announcements within the community.

Looking forward to discussing in-person at our upcoming meetup :smiley:

3 Likes

We just changed the location of the event: it will now be held in Portola Valley. The new location is about 15 minutes away from the old location in Palo Alto. We’ve fully confirmed the details so the address won’t change again.

If you want to attend please email me at willismattei@gmail.com and I will send you the exact address.

1 Like

Anyone here wanna carpool out of the city on Saturday? :grin:

We held our first meetup at Portola Valley earlier today!

For updates regarding our SF Chapter, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter at www.humanetechsf.com

And join our FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1727966153956617/?fref=gc&dti=273426263115739&hc_location=ufi

Thanks to Will for the venue + food + moderation and Ron for the website + newsletter :metal:

5 Likes

Thank you Ferjohn for scheduling the event in the first place and helping coordinate everything! I also want to thank all of the participants who came today and put on a great discussion. I had a blast and learned a lot.

We are thinking of holding these meet ups once a month. If anyone wants to participate or has ideas for future events please email me at willismattei@gmail.com.

3 Likes

I’m hosting a discussion about technology addiction in Palo Alto on Saturday, June 23rd from 1pm to 3pm. Here’s the Facebook event for the conversation with more details.

The discussion is being held through Civility and there are 5 spots available. If you are interested in participating you should sign up with Civility here and then click on “Interested” in the Facebook event or email info@civility.social about the event. You can also reach out to me directly at willismattei@gmail.com – I can contact Civility and let them know you’re interested.

Let me know if you have any questions about the discussion. I’m looking forward to having an intimate, in-depth conversation on tech addiction!

3 Likes

I’m excited to announce that we are hosting the second Bay Area Humane Tech Meet Up in Portola Valley on June 30th. The topic of our discussion will be “how can we make technology more humane?”

Please email me at willismattei@gmail.com or send a PM on this forum for more details and the address.

2 Likes

We are hosting a workshop in San Francisco for people creating humane technology projects. The event will take place on August 25th from 1pm to 4pm at App Academy. I’ve posted more details on the Humane Tech SF blog, including directions about how to sign up.

We’d love to see you all there!

2 Likes