I welcome feedback on a new report I wrote on “Mapping Solutions to Social Media Threats” based on a workshop where we brought 20 experts in democracy, human rights, and peacebuilding together for a weekend of brainstorming.
Click here to read the full report on Mapping Responses to Social Media Threats. And click here to see the other policy briefs in our series, including "Peacebuilding Perspectives on Social Media’s Impact on Social and Political Goods."
The report identifies social media threats on social cohesion, human rights, violence and democracy and then identifies creative options for addressing those threats through:
- Building a better bridge between offline dialogue and online platforms.
- Helping tech companies improve their platform design and moderation.
- Supporting civic tech and peace tech options for addressing social media threats.
- Mobilizing civil society to develop campaigns to address social media threats directly or through leveraging pressure on tech companies and governments.
- Leveraging financial and legal pressure on tech companies.
- Recognizing the education and research necessary to develop better long-term solutions.