Peacebuilding and social media impacts on political good

Hi everyone,

I’m an international peacebuilder and religious leader. I focus on building networks of grassroots communities who build peace and justice in every sphere of life. The things I’ve learned here have been very important for how my team strategically engages.

One of my professors, who’s a leader in the Peacebuilding and Development field has used some of the research and writing form our forum to create a report from the peacebuilding perspective. Some of you might find her unique perspective interesting and helpful.

This is the summary:
“Social media is both an asset and a threat to social and political goods. This first in a series of policy briefs on social media aims to build the capacity of civil society to understand the economic and psychological appeal of social media, identify the range of opportunities and challenges related to social media, and promote discussion on potential solutions to these challenges. Currently, few in civil society or government understand how social media works. Technology experts and investor-oriented social media platforms cannot address the opportunities and challenges brought by social media capabilities. Together, government, corporations, and civil society, need to find ways to respond to the growing crisis of social media ethics and impacts.”

Follow this link to download the full report.

Hope this is helpful.
Blessings.

Thank you; I’m reading the policy brief and finding it interesting. Just read this section and thought I’d share it:

F. Coordinate a Campaign for Social Media Literacy
People do not want to be “data producing farm animals, domesticated and dependent” upon social media for our unhealthy addiction. (Vaidhyanathan 2018, 203) The public needs to understand how social media is impacting their personal lives and broader society. Providing social media literacy for billions of people is daunting. Governments, social media platforms, corporations, schools and universities, and civil society organizations all need to participate. The content of social media literacy should include the following:
• basic training on privacy settings to help users be aware and control their information;
• strategies for self-control, so social media users set limits on their own usage;
• accountability coaching, so users understand the impact of incivility and hate speech; and
• training to recognize the tricks of persuasion and propaganda.