List of awesome open-source Humane Tech projects

A lot of new entries since the last post have been added to the Awesome list. Check them out below. Also the github repository has another maintainer besides me, which is @gkrishnaks. Thank you, Gokul!

Ethics

Security

• Warn Common Password - Addon to protect us from common passwords via bundled offline list 500006 entries

Privacy

• Cloud Firewall - Addon that enables you to choose & block top 5 cloud companies based on their IPv4/6 ranges.
  • Librefox - A project that aims at enforcing privacy and security of Firefox without forking the project.
  • amp2html - Browser extension to automatically redirect Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) to the actual HTML page.

Tracking

• Cookie-AutoDelete - Browser extension that deletes cookies as soon as the tab closes, unless site is allowListed.
  • ClearURLs - Addon that removes tracking elements form address bar URLs using 130 rules.
  • Pi-hole - A DNS sinkhole to block ads or trackers on a local network without installing any client-side software.

Blocklists

• FilterLists - Directory of filter and host lists for advertisements, trackers, malware and annoyances.

Freedom

• Wayback Everywhere - Redirect all pages to snapshots in Wayback Machine + auto-save pages / auto-exclude sites.

Social networks

• DeleteFB - Selenium script to delete all of your Facebook wall posts.

Analytics

• GoAccess - A real-time web log analyzer and interactive viewer that runs in a terminal or in a browser.
  • Countly - A self-hostable, real-time, mobile & web analytics, rich push notifications and crash reporting platform.

Awareness

Inclusiveness

• Buster - Browser extension and Captcha Solver for Humans.

Mindfulness

• MindBell - Mindfulness bell and meditation timer for Android.
3 Likes

Okay thanks a lot !!!

1 Like

Hurray! Awesome Humane Tech exists for 2 years :partying_face:

Since I created this project we have collected a total number of 178 great open-source projects, ethics and privacy resources, plus a number of links to other related link collections. If you havenā€™t visited the list, then you should definitely check it out:

So what did we add since the last update? It is a huge listā€¦

Ethics

Privacy

• GadgetBridge - Replaces gadget vendorsā€™ closed source Android apps (Pebble, Mi Band, Liveview, HPlus and more).
  • DeepPrivacy - A fully automatic face anonymization technique for images and video.
  • PrivacyFlash Pro - Generate a privacy policy for your iOS app from its code.
  • Reveal Frame Component - A privacy-minded iFrame placeholder (JS script). Only loads after user consent.
  • FreedomBox - Easy to manage, privacy oriented home server.

Tracking

• Shariff - Enables website users to share their favorite content without compromising their privacy.
  • Social Share Privacy - jQuery plugin for adding social share buttons that donā€™t allow social sites to track users.
  • EasyList - Sets of rules (originally designed for Adblock) that automatically remove unwanted content from the internet.
  • TrackMeNot - Browser extension that hides your real search-queries by adding noise and obfuscation.

Analytics

• Koko Analytics - Plugin for WordPress that doesnā€™t use external services and respects your visitorsā€™ privacy.
  • freshlytics - A self-hosted privacy-friendly, reliable and easy-to-deploy analytics service.
  • Plausible Insights - Simple, lightweight analytics service that respects your visitorsā€™ privacy.
  • Goatcounter - Simple web statistics. No tracking of personal data.

Blocklists

Social networks

• Minimal Twitter - Minimal Theme for the new Twitter UI.
  • Talk - An open-source commenting platform focused on better conversation.
  • Invidious - An alternative front-end to YouTube without Ads.
  • Delta Chat - Decentralized Whatsapp-like chat via email, without the tracking and central control.
  • Nitter - An alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy.
  • Invidition - Firefox extension that redirects YouTube and Twitter requests to their alternatives.

Freedom

• 996.ICU - Collection of resources advocating against 996 work schedule (9am ā€“ 9pm, 6 days per week).

Geolocation

• Qwant Maps - A map application, based on OpenStreetMap, that respects your privacy.

Voice Assistants

• Almond - The Stanford open, privacy-preserving virtual assistent.
  • Rhasspy - A fully offline voice assistant toolkit for many languages.

Internet of Things

• Home Assistant - Home automation that puts local control and privacy first.

Health

• ActivityWatch - An automated time-tracker that is cross-platform, extensible and privacy-focused.

Mindfulness

• Detoxify - Generate a fake app to replace any addictive app.
  • Nudge - A Chrome extension that makes the internet less addictive.
  • SelfControl - A macOS app that lets you block your own access to distracting websites and mail servers.

Inclusiveness

• The A11Y Project - A community-driven effort to make web accessibility easier.

Awareness

• Where are the Eyes? - A program for detecting and mapping surveillance cameras.
  • IMSI-Catcher Detector - An Android app to detect IMSI-Catchers aka Stingrays (project in Alpha).
  • Dogsheep - Export data from big companies (e.g. Google, Twitter) into Sqlite for personal analytics.

Related awesomeness

• degoogle - A huge list of alternatives to Google products. Privacy tips, tricks, and links.
  • switching.software - Ethical, easy-to-use and privacy-conscious alternatives to well-known software.

I wanted to add this analytics, which I found on Hacker News. By the way the name umami is a word of Japanese origin for one of the 5 basic tastes, which alone should be enough reason to use it.

• Umami - A simple, easy to use, self-hosted web analytics solution.
1 Like

Yes, it was already added, but thanks anyway Alex. I read the thread too. Also added 2 others that were mentioned in there:

• PostHog - Developer-friendly, open-source product analytics.
  • umami - A simple, fast, website analytics alternative to Google Analytics.
  • AWStats - Free real-time logfile analyzer to get advanced statistics.

(I really made a lot of changes to the list this month)

1 Like

Project reached the first 1,000 Stars

(source: wikimedia.org)

I have been dilligently maintaining the Awesome Humane Tech project, and wanted to share with you the celebratory fact that the repository on Github just reached 1,000 stars :partying_face:

While I normally donā€™t consider stars a popularity contest (I use them as bookmarks, and to show appreciation to the devs) in this case I find it wonderful that so many people show interest in open-source humane technology projects.

I am currently rolling out a humatech badge program where projects on the list are eligible to wear this badge:

Awesome Humane Tech

I expect that that will give a further boost to the project and attracts even more attention to humane technology.

2 Likes

The Awesome list is one of my favorite developments ā€“ extremely useful, and available in a way that developers can access. So glad to see it thriving. You might consider linking to it / mentioning it in the banner at the top of the discourse.

2 Likes

Thank you @metasj, that is a good idea.

1 Like

Incredible, glad to see its become so popular. Thanks for building the list!

1 Like