Code of conduct for HTC

Go to the editable code of conduct here.

Discussion

One of the tasks @micheleminno and I have to perform as members of the Mozilla Open Leaders program is the development of a code of conduct. Right now, HTC covers this subject in its FAQ section. Here are a few excerpts:

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time.

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.

• Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.

• Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.

• Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things [emphasis added]. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

If you would like to help with the process of developing a COC, please reply to this topic. Note that the MOL program will be ending soon, so please respond in the next week. Thank you!

3 Likes

I agree. You can build upon any existing fine COC with some modifications maybe.

2 Likes

This is from our guidelines. I suggest we add it to the COC.

1 Like

We can use these as inspiration:

2 Likes

Is this about code of conduct for leaders or our forum? Or just the forum in general?

I think it’s for everyone in the forum.

@micheleminno, I just read the COC produced by another team in our MOL cohort:

What do you think about including this text from their COC?

Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.

4 Likes

Also note this part of GRIS’s COC:

Scope

We expect all community participants (contributors, paid or otherwise; sponsors; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all community venues–online and in-person–as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to community business.

This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of community activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members.

I’m not sure we want to use the same language, but the idea would be worth considering.

2 Likes

This one May also be a good reference as it’s small and not too long to read :blush:

2 Likes

Yes, I like the Code of Conduct you bring up @gkrishnaks (also the ‘Step down considerately’ is very appropriate… should’ve read it earlier :wink: )

Outside the CHT community activities I think that is to intrusive people have there own lives. There are proper agency or authority to deal with that issue. I think we must focus on our HTC community.

A draft version of the code of conduct can be found here.

2 Likes

I think that draft is fair and comprehensive enough code of conduct. Thoughts and additional suggestion from the community?

I made some changes according also to some comments here, check the wiki post. Once we agree on it, I update the draft version on github.

1 Like

Hi, I updated the enforcement section to say “if content/account does not agree with this code of conduct” - Earlier version had “remove content or account for any reason at any time”. I will send this as PR to Github repo.

2 Likes

Are you guys editing in a wiki edit or regular edit? My screen is different and won’t allow me the same actions.

Just figured it out thanks anyways… I didn’t realize it was on the bottom!

My screen is different too, @healthyswimmer. I guess we need to be aware of differences in operating systems.

I just made a few changes to the COC; of course, LMK what you think.

I’d also like to include this text somewhere (again from GRIS’s COC):

A supplemental goal of this Code of Conduct is to increase open [source/culture/tech] citizenship by encouraging participants to recognize and strengthen the relationships between our actions and their effects on our community.

I just pinned the topic globally (got tired of hunting for it in the topic list); LMK if not OK. :ribbon:

2 Likes

I added it in the initial introduction I made.
Any other update?
Otherwise I set this version as our current draft COC in github.

1 Like

I updated the github version, that now it’s our current code of conduct. Any further change and refinement is welcome, the code of conduct is a living document as it evolves along with the community self-conscience and awareness.

2 Likes

Added to the main menu:

4 Likes

Code of conduct updated according to this issue.

Added the following:

• Be careful about what you are posting:
    • don’t post topics that are clearly out of the interests and focus areas of the forum.
    • don’t advertise your product/company/service in a generic post, you have the ‘Judge my app’ category if you want to propose something and get feedbacks from other members of the forum.
    • don’t replicate the same post in multiple topics.
    • if you reply to an existing topic, ask yourself if what you want to write is related to that topic or it would better fit into a brand new topic.
5 Likes