Chrome extension to turn distracting websites grayscale

An extension I created that turn distracting websites to grayscale just got approved by the Google Chrome store!

I began using my phone in grayscale mode over a year ago and it helped reduce my screen time. I noticed I spent a lot of time browsing Reddit and watching YouTube on my work computer, but I couldn’t bring myself to turn the entire system into grayscale. That’s how Grey-Session was born!

I’d appreciate any feedback, the more candid the better…

3 Likes

Hey, really cool idea! I just tried it out a bit and it seems to work well. Of course, I’ll have to try for longer to see what effects it has.

In the mean time, some wishful thinking: I would really love this grayscaling intervention to be a part of @louisbarclay’s Nudge (GitHub). I think there’s an opportunity for a “humane tech interventions extension” where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Maybe you can collaborate :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For reference, the extremely popular Dark Reader (Chrome Store) extension is open-source & running on Open Collective contributions. (A related extension. I just checked, Dark Reader also has full grayscale dark mode with the right settings).

Also: privacy. I think it’s something you care about, and something most people here care about. That only needs to be communicated effectively.

This extension uses the all-hosts permission. (“This extension can read and change all your data on the websites you visit”). This means that theoretically, it could send my full browsing history to servers you control, even if it doesn’t. The T&C’s & Privacy Policy look like pretty generic legalese (I admit, I just skimmed, as most people will) with some custom additions, but I’d like to see specific, simple, clear assertions that the above is not happening and will not happen with this extension.

An example from Dark Reader’s home page:

2 Likes