Hi, I wanted to make a word list of ethical alternatives that I often try to adopt in my personal usage like my suggestion to Arnold for Awesome humane tech collection list, with respect to using “BlockList/AllowList” instead of Blacklist/Whitelist. He wondered if such a list existed somewhere. We can start one and curate more from other sources and have it on a repo.
I’m starting with the below 5 :
- BlockList/AllowList instead of Blacklist/Whitelist (think etymology of these unethical words)
- Avoiding usage of “guys” as gender neutral 2nd person plural when women/girls are there. (We can see why it’s not cool if we address a group of 2 men and 6 women as “gals” and observe the reaction)
- Using human(s) / person(s) instead of man/men. Particularly with adjectives “Great person” instead of “Great man” even if we speak about a human male. (so that we get the idea it’s about greatness we are talking about, not gender)
- Using ’ she’ as many or more times as he as pronoun in documentations or essays or articles and emails for pronoun to ‘one’ - user/one has the choice to do [this] if she wishes to do [that,]
- Avoid master/slave terminology like Arnold mentioned in Mastodon. I think we can use Host/Guest instead, or any such word closely linked word pair if you can suggest to us here with your own list.