What will you be reading in 2020?

Hello Friends.

In 2020, I am going to try my absolute best to read up on what you wonderful souls deem worth the time in trying to read up on the topic of our current technological landscape with regards to the internet. I have learned that the internet can truly be such a wonderful thing, and yet can be an entirely dark-sided ad-driven wastepool as well.

With that being said: what will you be reading this 2020? Let’s further educate each other on the topic of using our technology in a more enhancing way, rather than an extractive way. It is critical we read books from credible sources, learn interesting new ideas and engage with one another on how to make the internet/our technologies a better place to coexist with.

Books I have read recently that I highly recommend:

“The Filter Bubble” by Eli Pariser.-what the internet is hiding from you.

“The Master Switch” by Tim Wu. - the rise and fall of information empires.

“Hello World” by Hannah Fry. -being human in the age of algorithms.

With that being said: what will you be reading this 2020?

Cheers and happy reading,

Adam Bartley

8 Likes

One book that has resonated in my community has been 12 Ways your Phone Is Changing You by Tony Reinke. While the book does approache things from an overtly Christian perspective even if you don’t have a faith tradition this book is eye-opening. It’s a game changer! HIGHLY recommend

I’d recommend:

Surveillance Capitalism - Shoshana Zuboff
Ten Arguments for Deleting Social Media Accounts Right Now - Jaron Lanier
You are Not a Gadget - Jaron Lanier
How to Do Nothing - Jenny O’Dell
Stand Out of Our Light - James Williams
World without Mind - Franklin Foer
Trick Mirror - Jia Tolentino

I have these books on my 2020 pile already:

1. Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life by Nir Eyal
  2. How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy by Jenny Odell
  3. Surveillance Capitalism - Shoshana Zuboff
  4. Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal by Nick Bilton
  5. A Survival Guide to the Misinformation Age: Scientific Habits of Mind by David J. Helfand
  6. Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy by Cathy O’Neil
  7. LikeWar: The Weaponization of Social Media by P.W. Singer, Emerson T. Brooking
1 Like

Love all the recommendations! I have added quite a bit of the listed reads that you fellow readers have suggested to my Goodreads account.

Let’s keep them coming CHT community!

1 Like

Want to echo the recommendations of How to Do Nothing and Trick Mirror as must reads for putting into really clear, powerful language the deleterious cultural and individual impact of the ubiquitous integration of digital devices, social media, etc. in our lives.

1 Like

I liked Digital Minimalism.

And here’s a fun one for all ages: Alef and the Analysts.

Niceee… These suggestions are incredible! This is basically the curriculum, but it’s missing the magnum opus: The Shallows, by Nicholas Carr. Published in 2010, it’s as amazing (and relevant) as ever.

2 Likes

Woot! I love this thread so much! Thanks @everyone for sharing!!

Overall, I think I’ve read about half of the books mentioned in this thread. (Here’s where I keep track.)

This is a bit random, but I’d also like to add the ultimate humane tech longread: Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. I’ve been reading and re-reading that constantly for the last few years. It’s beyond prescient. More than anything else I’ve ever read in my life, it gets right to the heart of why distractions are so bad and why simplicity is so good. It’s a classic amongst classics for a reason.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations all!

I’m curious to see what Deep Work contains, it seems to be a classic in the topic of focus & distraction.

Probably I’m also going to read many more relevant long form magazine/journal articles, now that @loundy launched the perfect platform for that :stuck_out_tongue: (thanks)

2 Likes

first of all: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Deep work is, indeed, great. I actually met Cal Newport once, at a book launch event in NYC for Digital Minimalism. During the Q&A, I asked a question that used the word dystopia and the crowd laughed, but then I didn’t laugh, and then there was an epically long and awkward silence which I thought ruled. Good times.

4 Likes

I’ve recently read The Psychology of Social Media by Ciaran Mc Mahon and in the midst of Psychology of the Digital Age by John R. Suler.

After that, I have Shoshana Zuboff’s The Age of Digital Capitalism. Have recently purchased Targeted by Brittany Kaiser, and Mindf*ck by Christopher Wylie. Also on my to buy list is BJ Fogg’s new book Tiny Habits.

A vegan friend, Michael Greger, MD recently sent me his latest book, How Not To Diet - it’s even bigger than Shoshana’s book!

Let’s see how many of these I can get through before Honours starts in February!

1 Like

For parents and educators… Screen Schooled by Clement and Miles. I could recommend others but this is the BEST. Short easy read. Authors are currently teachers.

Stand out of our light is a brilliant read. My ever expanding reading list for 2020 is:
Understanding Media - The extensions of man by Marshall McLuhan
Reader come home - Reading brain in a digital world by Maryanne Wolf
The shallows - What the internet is doing to our brains by Nicholas Carr
Digital minimalism - Cal Newport
Indistractables - Nir Eyal

2 Likes

I’m loving all of these recommendations, although my reading wishlist is getting out of control!
My definite list for this year includes:

• Twitter and Tear Gas by Zeynep Tufekci (about to finish it)
  • Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health by Laurie Garrett
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products by Nir Eyal and Ryan Hoover
  • Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability by Steve Krug
  • The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman
  • Who Can You Trust? by Rachel Botsman (thanks to the last undivided attention podcast)
2 Likes

Loving all these suggestions on here! We have had quite the variety on here so far!

Here’s some more reads I have sunk my teeth into thus far this calendar year.

“Team Human” by Douglas Rushkoff.

“What Technology Wants” by Kevin Kelly.

“From Counterculture to Cyberculture” by Fred Turner.

Last but not least, “The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood” - James Gleick.

Happy reading!

1 Like

I can’t second “Team Human” enough. Rushkoff captures the idealism of the early internet with suggestions for how we get back on course. His podcasts are delightful too!

2 Likes

I would recommend Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari as well - has a good summation of humanism and where he predicts we are going after humanism stops being the predominant social order.

1 Like

Agreed! Rushkoff rules. I traded emails with him once, and it made my heart tingle, lol.

If I listened to podcasts, I’d listen to him, for sure.

A book still in production (release planned for March 2020), with some free content available already: