The “Don’t make me think” UX advice got us where we are

The principal of interface transparency is persuasive. It is a deceptive principal and it has framed the world of design according to itself. “Don’t make me think” is not just a phrase in this thread, it has much more weight than that. It’s a book, an education, an entire way of thinking that controls how and what you think about design. Amazon was built on it. The original post calls it “dogma”, you call it a “principal”. Thats a lot more than just a phrase. In fact, your tendency to simplify “Don’t make me think” down to a phrase demonstrates something. Can you see it? Do you want to look at it? it’s a cognitive vulnerability.
Also, can you see the resistance mentioned in the post?

People have a range skills and abilities. When we design to the person who has zero skills and abilities, we’ve certainly solved a problem for the novice, but neglected to support the person with expert skills and abilities. Experts become experts because they do “think.” Shouldn’t we be trying to help people become experts at whatever it is they are doing? And not use user-friendly design to keep them a novice? In my opinion, it’s okay if a sink and soap dispenser design slows people down and makes them stop and think, especially if it helps them learn about water conservation or be more thorough at washing their hands. Same goes with every tech product…
Help me be a better navigator and not a helpless lost person when I’m without GPS.
Help me be a better dish washer and not just be a mindless machine loader and unloader.
Help me be better at remembering things and not completely reliant on my digital calendar for everything.

1 Like