New book: The Psychology of Social Media

Dear Humane Tech,

I have a book on the way which I hope will be of interest to community members. The Psychology of Social Media is available for pre-order and will be published on April 16 - a short, accessible read for a the interested undergrad/general readership, as part of Routledge’s ‘The Psychology of Everything’ series.

What’s my book about? I’ve attached a flyer (with discount code :sunglasses:) but here’s the blurb:

Are we really being ourselves on social media? Can we benefit from connecting with people we barely know online? Why do some people overshare on social networking sites?

The Psychology of Social Media explores how so much of our everyday lives is played out online, and how this can impact our identity, wellbeing, and relationships. It looks at how our online profiles, connections, status updates, and sharing of photographs can be a way to express ourselves and form connections, but also highlights the pitfalls of social media including privacy issues.

From FOMO to fraping, and from subtweeting to selfies, The Psychology of Social Media shows how social media has developed a whole new world of communication, and for better or worse is likely to continue to be an essential part of how we understand our selves.

Furthermore, if you work at an educational institution, you can request an inspection copy for use in teaching here https://www.routledge.com/resources/compcopy/9781138047754

Thank you for your time,

Ciarán Mc Mahon

PS
PS anyone in Dublin on May 8th, do join us for a glass of wine at the launch! thepsychologyofsocialmedia.eventbrite.com

2 Likes

Ciarán, I can’t thank you enough for sharing information about your new book - and moreover, for writing it! I’ve downloaded it this morning and am already halfway through reading it. Your book is accessible and valuable and at the same time rigorous academically - it is a very important contribution to your field and beyond.

I’ve already shared information about purchasing your book with two colleagues - one a psychologist here in the US who thinks deeply about the issues, the other the CEO of a national association whose members work toward healthy communities — she and I work with these public sector agencies on how they can communicate more powerfully and effectively to build support for their work, using learnings from a number of social science disciplines along with applied neuroscience - and we are now seeking to help these local and state leaders understand the social media environment and how that impacts the way communications are perceived and responded to.

I would urge others on this forum to read your book. Thanks again.

4 Likes

Dear Karen,
Thank you so much for this - your kind words have made my day!
Humbled to read such praise, I think you are my first official review! hope you don’t mind me sharing it!

This is exactly the type of balance I was striving to achieve for readers - accessible and valuable and at the same time rigorous academically.

Thank you for sharing information about the book with your colleagues, that’s very helpful and kind. Also, if there is anything I can do to help you or them, I’ve PM’d you my personal contact details.

Many thanks,

Ciarán

2 Likes