Netflix Saves Kids from Up to 400 Hours of Commercials a Year

On Hacker News I bumped into this interesting article:

The article mentions that our internet-savvy kids are still watching many hours of ‘traditional’ television, and are exposed to the flood of ads that intersperse the programs, unless… they are watching on ad-free mediums like Netflix.

A study conducted by the University of Michigan found that kids 2-5 spend an average of 32 hours per week in front of a television set. Children 6-11 spend 28 hours in front of a television set (there are some who believe the decrease between brackets is likely due to the slightly older kids now transitioning to phone time).

BTW, to me these numbers sound like an awful amount of time in front of the TV

Here is the Hacker News discussion: Netflix Saves Kids from Up to 400 Hours of Commercials a Year | Hacker News
Lotsa interesting comments on this thread. I especially like user bargi:

"I went to my parents house with my son. He was 4. They turned on cartoons. Then he said, “Dad why’d you change the show? I don’t want to watch this.” It was a commercial. I had to explain commercials to my son. It was at that moment I realized how much of my tv watching as a kid was commercials. "

In the response to this there is mention of Sao Paulo, where outdoor advertising is forbidden:

1 Like

And what about the fact that they are brainwashing the younger generation with their content?

Thank you for the information