Keys for putting in practice the 10 principles of humane technology

Keys for putting in practice the 10 principles of humane technology

Based on 10 principles of humane technology and in smarts ideas in CHT website and forum
An approach to 1rst and 2nd principles of humane technology

A-Environment for develop healthy relationships

The nature of human relationships are based on confidence
And its natural flow creates, support and encourage health of each humane relationship
This is the first requirement to build healthy relationships, and the unique not replaceable at all.
The dialog is support by confidence and makes possible to trust in another person and give credit to his words.
To hurt confidence is to break down a relationship.
To rebuild it is a hard and extremely difficult goal without assurance of success
A fluent relationship requires maintenance with a convenient frequency of communication and commitment. But an excessive frequency exposes it to erosion. Erosion led us to decrease motivation, and from that point is easier to arrive to a not empathy situation.
When your empathy is week it is easy to misunderstand, to ignore, and to forget.

B-Whatā€™s happening with tech design of net communication?

The first real confidence we need is between the platform and his users, and no business model ought not to trespass this basement point.
The present design encourages a high exposure of private life, and eventhough in the beginning it was an attractive stuff, nowadays to be pressure to a non-desire high exposure is trespassing personal and social security.
Both situations attempt against confidence, the basement of every relationship and social contract.
The design of messaging is based on an easier, faster and simplified way than ever in human experience. The benefits are surely clear for everybody especially when your intention is only to inform or to be informed, but the problem begins when the message support an important charge of emotion
The constant, 24/7 arrival of messages of a lot of people in different situations make impossible to reply in the right emotional way.
In real life you never attend people at the same time in different and simultaneous conversations day after day.
That constant situation of bad quality of messaging erosions relationships and youā€™ll probably finally erase that contact, in other words, you erase that person of your environment, probably without the opportunities that brings a face to face conversation.
All this situation is even worst in groups of messaging, where the possibilities of not to be considered and the missing out feeling increased the exponential need of a 24/7 checking your smartphone.
And what about addiction?
How can escape if your words, ideas and images are every day liked or unliked on a public stage?
How can escape if your real inclusion is evaluated everyday?
How can escape if your self-esteem is day after day proved?
The result is an anxious and not established emotional life

C-Four levers to redefine the future

The CHT website presents four levers to redefine the future, but I think I only can offer a draft contribution in both: Inspire Humane Design and Create a cultural Awakening.
I think these levers are the two critical for change synergy between platforms and human behavior
Humane Design: in line with A and B parts, I think we need:

1- Assurance the personal control of private information
2- Personal control of contacts: no more to be exposed in contacts of your contacts without your authorization
3- No more profile configuration by default
4- No more space localization by default
5- User configuration to receive or not to receive like and unlike
6- No more predicting algorithm working 24/7 over your mind
7- Automatically classification of enter messages by user configuration crossing contacts and subjects preferred to gives priority of reply.
8- Create a stand-by bottom when reply must be shared in privacy before answer or simply to give a personal time of analysis.
9- Reminders for low participation in messaging groups
10-Every dispositive must include by default software to test periodically self-esteem, tech-addiction and emotional health.

Actions:
ā€¢ Public regulations for healthy design
ā€¢ Health quality certified
ā€¢ Nonstop investigation about healthy design and social behavior

Create a cultural awakening:

Basic contents
1- How to avoid risks in privacy information
2- How to protect and strengthen your self-esteem
3- How to prevent tech-addiction
4- How to obtain a strong emotional health
5- How to prevent unnecessary erosion in relationships

Actions:
ā€¢ Public policies and advertisements
ā€¢ Programs of tech-behavior training from kindergarten to university
ā€¢ Creation of public groups of training
ā€¢ Unplugged experiences
ā€¢ Spaces for sharing experiences

My intention is to keep on developing the 10 principles in future posts

4 Likes

Wow, this is a great insight. Thank you!

I might add that it is easy to make the wrong choice.

2 Likes

Sure ! I agree ā€¦thank for your support
Do you think useful for CHT this kind of prescriptive posts of mine or better more open posts and wait a clear north of the movement?
Thank !

1 Like

That is a good question; I think one of the moderators will have to reply.

@aschrijver?

1 Like

Well, doing the first runs the risk of it not aligning to CHT plans, and it gives less room to trigger a discussion between members from which ultimately these prescriptive texts arise.

When you forego this discussion you run more risk for elaborate changes if others do not agree. So you should be open to thatā€¦

But any good contribution is always good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I envolved to this movement, with the idea of active contribution

I donā€™t want to be not aligned with CHT plans at all

Yes , I describe my posts as prescriptive , because I wrote them not in question form , but in a statetement way.

They are not spontaneous ideas.
Before each post I`ve worked hard to arrive to some concept, that I only offer as a draft to discuss with everybody in this forum.

But reading again Tristanā€™s reply published just after The 10 principlesā€¦ I think that`s not yet the time , and even probably not the forum the pace to post this kind of proposals.

I have maked this kind of contributions, `cause my passionately commitment , but itā€™s time to stop and wait what CHT wants to do.

Al least I hope this two proposals of mine worked as a humble contributionā€¦

I have no doubt Iā€™ll be clearly alligned with this great movement in any case and with any plans.

Thatā€™s 'cause CHT is a etic shout to the world and that matters to me

PS: thank you Pat and aschrijver for your advices

1 Like

Aloha Alfredo,

I reread your principles and was intrigued by these two. Can you please explain what reminders for low participation might be and what kind of software might test self-esteem and emotional health?

Mahalo (Hawaiian for thank you)!

1 Like

Yes, in 9 Iā€™m thinking in software that sends you a private message when the system detects you are posting below some standard level expected.

10- In my smartphone I have an app ā€œIcare Health Monitorā€ . This app can checks how works your blood pressure , frequency of heartbeat and another psysical data by putting your finger against the flash of the camera.
Besides this function , the app tests emotional issues.
You have to answer for each emotional aspect a questionary.
After that the software classify your selection , then sends you the result.
Itā€™s easy to do and quick to obtain the result.
Similar to that it is possible to design questionary to check self.esteem and emotional health (by indicators pre-established)
For check tech addition you both can use a similar method than this recently described or even the sofware can checks the frequency of your posts in a period pre-established and within a range of different standards levels.
Afterwards, with historic data you can obtain your trends.
Further the software can highlight suggests and advices to improove your performance in order to healthy situation and smart use of technology.

Sincerely I thank your interest on this issues , but I`m not going forward developing this Keys.
If these ideas works or at least satisfied your requierement Iā€™ll be satisfied.
Pat, thank four strong commitment to CHT

Hi @ALFREDO,

While I think I can see what your intention is for point 9 and 10, I have some reservationsā€¦

I think you may be meaning here that people should take good social manners into account while communicating digitally? I notice myself very often that what is considered normal online, would be very rude in face-to-face conversation. For example, while many people read messages from others (and this is made clear to the sender by e.g. a read flag, like the ones you see on Whatsapp), oftentimes they do not take the effort to respond, not even a ā€˜Seen itā€™, ā€˜Not interestedā€™ or smiley reply. Imagine doing that in real life.

On the other hand people are sending messages too easy. Oftentimes meaningless or silly stuff, and to people they would not do that to in real life. So this may be one of the reasons they do not respond.

But I do not think a system or app should intervene to correct any of that, decide what is the appropriate level of involvement. People are free. This is a freedom of speech thing then, IMHO.

Instead people should be made more aware of their behaviour. So awareness is one. And then you have the term ā€˜netiquetteā€™ā€¦ a word you rarely hear about anymore these days. Netiquette is just a commitment to civil online behaviour. And maybe that is what should be updated and advertised as part of CHT efforts.

10-Every dispositive must include by default software to test periodically self-esteem, tech-addiction and emotional health.

While this could be of help to some people, it is not part of humane tech princples, if you ask me. They are fighting symptoms and not the causes of mental health, tech addiction, etc. issues.

There are already existing apps for all of these things, and some may align to humane tech principles, some may not. But building this into software as a requirement goes to far, and implies huge regulatory burdens, where app providers need to become custodians of your health, and measure the effect of their services on it. I do not see this come about, to be frank.

Also you need to be aware when using these kinds of apps that you are giving out incredibly sensitive personal information. The most valuable stuff are medical records and information on your state of mind and thinking.
Personally I will never use this kind of technology, but again this is a freedom of choice issue, of course.

Hi @aschrijver
I completely agree with your description about what is considered normal on line and the difference with face to face communication.
Even more I agree with you that silence is occasionally the convenient answer.
But Im really far away from ā€œnetiquetteā€ intention. Instead of civil on line behavior, I propose social-health behavior, and this topic I think is nowadays an issue of continuous investigation. So, far away from my proposal is to pretend educate people in traditional good social habits. But in the other hand, and close to daily experience, the requirements if you are in several WhatsApp groups are really high. If the group is in a work environment, not to reply I think it would be to pay attention about whats really happening with people, not only to suspect it.
In a social environment not to reply frequently, I think al least makes me wonder what are feelings of people.
So, my proposal is only to have some kind of discrete reminder to at least be noticed of this kind of situations, in a not invasive way.
About point 10 Iā€™ll respond you in another post

Hi @aschrijver

First of all , and very much important for me is to say that I`m very proud and happy to be in CHT, still the exact moment that I recieved by e-mail the invitation on February 25.

Its impossible for me to know if each idea we share in this forum is aligned with CHT principles
I am only one more volunteer , I only know what website propose , and I am completely agree, but I donā€™t know the principles you mentioned. So , more I value so much your advises.

About the content of point 10 I only consider to say that is not my intention to anybody to be custodians of health. In this website there are very healthy suggestions about how to improove your smartphone and even more some apps in the same way.

For me it doesnt matter so much my 10 point, Im trying to walk in the same path and direction of CHT

That`s only what I tried to say

Thank you @ALFREDO! There isnā€™t just one path to humane technologyā€¦ we are all creating pathways together, and you are too. Appreciate, man :slight_smile:

Appreciate too.
Keep on creating and walking together !!!

Dear @ALFREDO and @aschrijver,

Thanks for this conversation. Itā€™s good to read. Allow me to add a few things in response to these comments:

1. I would like there to be an iconā€”other than a heartā€”that would allow us to acknowledge posts and comments. Sometimes I read something and appreciate the information, but I hesitate to click on the heart. @metasj, is it possible to have a eyeā€“or something similarā€“to indicate that weā€™ve read a post or comment?

2. Iā€™m not sure if the silence of the majority of the membership indicates that they havenā€™t read comments or posts or that they arenā€™t checking in. I have noticed that many introductions say something like ā€œLet me know how I can help,ā€ but there is little engagement beyond that. That is, there are few or no comments or posts beyond the initial introduction and offer of help. Could it be that the shape or structure of the forum is daunting? Or that us frequent posters are discouraging others from speaking?

3. I was very surprised to discover that the forum keeps track of whose posts Iā€™ve liked and who has liked my posts. Even though this is nothing more than a calculation, the data can be interpreted in ways that are not good. For example, it could appear that Iā€™m part of a small group of members who like each otherā€™s posts. This impression of cliquishness makes me cringe. Is it possible to hide this informationā€”i.e., allow only administrators to see itā€”so that such impressions arenā€™t created?

Aloha from Hawaii (where, yes, the volcano on the Big Island is erupting).

1 Like

Why not put a topic Why people are not participating in the discussion? What are the problems? What are the solutions?

2 Likes

First of all I hope the situation in Hawaii improove for all of you

ā€œI would like there to be an iconā€”other than a heartā€”that would allow us to acknowledge posts and comments. Sometimes I read something and appreciate the information, but I hesitate to click on the heart. @metasj, is it possible to have a eyeā€“or something similarā€“to indicate that weā€™ve read a post or comment?ā€

Yes I, think that is good information when you notice the number of people that read a post, even though they dont reply. Its strategic information . It would be better to have an eye like suggest Patm In that case you can indetificate people that red the post
[/quote]

Yes , its natural that peoples points of wiew may be similar , but i agree that would be private information

Hi Arnold

I think time is over to self-control to develop new ideas withing the Keys , and out of them
CHT is very more clear orientated now , and Im not afraid to be not alligned In any case I want to collaborate , including the risks Not to do always led to nowhere place . Thats not my style
Cheers

Thats the idea The reminder is for wonder about youve said

1 Like

Thanks you @anon22019695

Let`s open the lab again !