Introduce Yourself

Hi folks, I’m Christianne and I’m a student-researcher from Canada. My area of study is cognitive neuroscience, and I’m currently researching the relationship between frequency of video game play and dopamine levels. I’m interested in the ways that technology use impacts the reward structures of our brains and therefore our sensitivity and response to rewards. I tend to see things through the lens of psychology, and I’m really intrigued by this humane tech project because it represents a sort of critical reaction to the normalization of rewarding technology. As someone who spends a lot of time immersed in literature about pathological use of technology, it feels nice to lurk around here and be reminded that the whole world isn’t in trouble.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Kiran and I’m a tech entrepreneur from Mysore, Karnataka, India. I have a serious love-hate relationship with smartphones, social media and instant messengers. We run a media publication and also a pseudonymous social publication (inspired by reddit but very different in the details) in the Kannada language.

I had avoided instant messengers for very long, but had to recently start using WhatsApp for work reasons. I see lots of psychological issues with instant messengers. I am working on a fundamentally different messenger app (currently in stealth mode) and hope to solve most of the problems of apps like WhatsApp, Telegram, etc.

Looking forward to good, meaningful, humane interactions here!

Hello all, I’m Adah Parris and I currently wear many hats that are finally merging. (London, UK based).

I’m a tech Futurist, transformation coach, public speaker, change management consultant and artist with an interest in making human involvement (in business, economics, and society) a measure for sustainable growth, success and impact.

I’m also interested how technology is impacting our understanding and definition of what it means to be human, our sense of identity, freedom, and impact (in our own lives and the wider society).

I’m linking this to the future of work, our understanding of what work is (or will be) in the 4th Industrial Revolution and how we can prepare individuals and organisations for this future.

I’m looking forward to becoming involved in this community.

2 Likes

Hello HumaneTech members!
We’re live and we need you! We’ve created an app to crowdsource ideas for social impact. It makes ‘doing good’ as easy as picking up your phone! The app works by adding your ideas and voting on other contributions. The best ideas rise to the top and become feasible solutions. And we’ll enact the winning solution with you, the charities we work with, and for society!

Our first mission is for the Plastic Pollution Coalition: How do we get supermarkets to use less plastic?
You can watch a short promo video of why this is an important mission (20k views already!).

Then download the free App here and have a play, it’s good fun! Takes one minute to sign up. We’ll do one Mission each month as voted by you.

Thanks and looking forward to having your beautiful brain in the mix!

Jeremy Agnew
Co-Founder
www.anewmission.org
Alone we are a drop, together an ocean.

1 Like

Kia ora from New Zealand (& Hawaii). My name is Kingi Gilbert. I’ve worked for years in advertising (Saatchi & Saatchi, M&C Saatchi, FCB) and video game (app) development (Xbox, PS3, iOS) using subtle and overt means to get people to buy products, pay attention, increase engagement, influence the way they feel certain ways about issues. I’ve adopted psychological plays, emotional triggers, rawness, shock, cultural values or gamification techniques in various projects - and measured them against various sets of analytics.

Now I focus on local work in the Pacific region for minority communities. I don’t like working for brands, big money, big corporations anymore.

IMO this is a David versus Goliath battle. I’m keen to take on Facebook/Twitter head-to-head with a better social platform built around dignity.

3 Likes

Hello team! My name is Devin Barich. I am a Junior UX Designer just dipping my toes into the water . I entered into this field hoping to help create products and services that are human centered that facilitate human interaction. I am interested in discussion surrounding the concept of dark design. Clickbait. ETC…

I want to get a better understanding for what the baseline expectations for ethical design behavior are in senior UX circles. I want to learn! :smile:

Excited to dive in.

1 Like

Hey there!

I’m Sam - nice to meet you! :slight_smile:

I’m here because I’m a recovering tech addict… who’s been thinking about this stuff & personally experimenting with unconventional ways of relating to tech, for several years now. A friend recommended I check out HumaneTech. They said I’d like what you guys are up to here.

…and they were right; this is awesome. It’s so refreshing to see people who care about how tech is affecting humanity (in sometimes not-so-great ways)… and are talking about it, with an eye to actually changing the way the world runs. I’m excited to jump in.

Not that anyone cares, but a bit about me…

For money, I work as a freelance copywriter and conversion rate optimization consultant.

When I’m not making money… I’m usually out “IRL,” talking with old friends, making new friends… exploring new restaurants, parks, coffee shops… or reading good books. I studied philosophy in school, and still think of myself as a philosopher at heart.

And I suppose that’s good for now. :slight_smile:

I do not have a tech background. I came across this company in an article I read. I am very happy and impressed that there are people who are aware and care about what they’re imprint can do and has done to our society.
I do not have a Facebook account, never liked it. I have seen people damaged by all modes of social media.
So again I’m very happy that you are working to improve our conscience. Thank you

• List item
1 Like

Hi, I’m Derek. I got my BS in ECSE two years ago and have been working at Microsoft ever since. I’m also a contract worker on the side to help me pay off my student loans/leave Microsoft faster.

I’ve been aware of technology addiction ever since I quit playing World of Warcraft in early high school, but I didn’t desire to help curb it until I read the “get your loved ones off Facebook” article published on HN a few years ago. It seriously impacted my view of Facebook/Snap/etc., and after revisiting a psychology course I took during school, I got rid of most of my social media. I also started advocating alternative chat or social media platforms (instead of Facebook) to my friends…but they didn’t seem to care enough. No matter how much I argued about it, they didn’t want to listen. I understand that part of the appeal of Facebook is its convenience (that’s where everyone is!), but I think addiction helps bind my friends to Facebook as well.

I realized that I’d need to do something bigger or more persuasive than just badgering my friends to install Signal if I wanted to make any progress. Luckily, I came across TimeWellSpent in another HN article, liked what I saw, and made my way over here!

My goal is to get all of my friends off Facebook and onto a platform that is “on their team” :slight_smile:. To help facilitate this, I plan on building and publishing a server configuration / deployment solution that sets up a few free, open-source chat and social media alternatives (along with personal cloud, email server, etc. if desired). This will allow people to take back control of their content, data, and social connections from Facebook/Google for the cost of a DigitalOcean droplet and an hour of free time. This is in the pipeline; I hope to have my own version up and running in the next few months or so.

Excited to see what Tristan et. al can do!

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Ida Marie - a student from Denmark.
I have my background in Computer Science which I have been studying for 3 years.
Now I have changed my subject to Philosophy to get a more holistic view on technology - and the world in general.
My dream is to somehow to combine the two fields, and I especially find the ethics of technology really interesting. Right now I’m considering a summer internship in NGO or company that works with the etichs in technology - maybe any of you have a suggestion?

I’m looking forward to becoming involved in this community, and I hope I can contribute with both my technical and philosophical background!

Best wishes
IM

Hi i am Giri

I have built healthcare systems and am currently also involved in the building of a behavioral analytics system. My concern has always been the deliberate addictive features of social media as well as the disregard for safety- whether it is impact on driving safety due to the addictive texting habit ( i am bad at this myself) or the abuse of teenagers using apps like Snapchat and the mind set of disappearing texts/pics that really don’t really disappear. it has bred irresponsible social behavior and there seem to be consequences for teenagers and their parents everywhere but not for these companies. I wrote about why on-line participation needs its own Miranda’s laws a couple of years ago. We are victims of what we create and need to be more responsible about privacy, human factor design as well as social consequences. If Exxon can be fined for bad behavior why not SnapChat?

Hi! First I want to congratulate you on establishing the Center for Humane Technology. The conversation and tools are much needed as we become more integrated with our technology.

My name is Dr. Heidi Forbes Öste. I am a behavioral scientist with over 25 years in social strategy consulting; teaching organizations how to engage their workforce, stakeholders and extended communities using social technologies. I did my doctoral research, BE-ing@Work, on using wellbeing technologies to enhance presence-of-mind in the workplace. This included extending the definition of presenteeism to include disengagement (often caused by technology or the wellbeing effects of it). My books in the Digital Self Mastery series explore our relationship with technology, the different profiles (from aversion to addiction) and the impact on our work and life.

My current work involves developing digital wellbeing programs for organizations and individuals. I have a podcast, Evolving Digital Self, that explores the conscious relationship with technology and the changing world of work and life. I try to stay on the positive side of how technology can enhance our lives and ability to be our best if we establish good behaviors around it and rapport with it. When referring to technology I look at the entire ecosystem (not limited to smart phones or social media). I welcome you to have a listen to the podcast, give feedback and even suggest guests.

I look forward to participating in the conversation. Oh yes, almost forgot, I am a mother of two teens, former serial expat and both Swedish and US citizen (this definitely impacts my perspective).

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Rimang… I’m From Indonesia…
My background is In Web & Sofware Engineering…
I hope i can contribute more in here, coz In indonesia everybody need their smartphone…
Even some parents in here give their baby smartphone to make their baby or children quiet… And now many children have a bad behavior than my time before…
They not respect anymore to the older person, and do what they want(aggresive) also they being old faster now…

Im Very Excited to be here and want to make better place for my next generation :blush:

2 Likes

Hi . John here from Silicon Valley, CA.

I’ve been a sales manager for technology in silicon valley for over 20 years and have watch many of the major companies emerge and ascend to become market dominant.

Working with the technology side, I’ve seen the vulnerabilities with respect to security and privacy and they concern me greatly as well as the increasing awareness of the de-personalization that is a consequence of such use.

Many see it as a way to “keep in contact.” Yes, perhaps, but I to often see couples at dinner not talking but looking at their phones.

Look at what Ex-Facebook Executive Chamath Palihapitiya has to say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MakEIlvlyfE

I want to support this movement for you, me and future generations. As an advocate for all things tech, I’m challenged to support non-humane growth. Can can and must to better.

This is in some ways a grass roots effort and we are all a part.

My goal is to promote this website and the concept of humane technology.

I invite your ideas and comments.

John Cox

3 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Dominic, a 21 year old student from the UK, currently studying for a degree at the Open University. I’m following the Open Degree pathway and am planning to focus on a combination of computing and economics. I’ve also self-taught some coding skills from online resources, mainly HTML/CSS/JavaScript.

Although I’m generally supportive of digital technologies, I am very concerned about aspects of what the tech industry has become, and some of the products it has created. Issues that are of great concern to me include the effect of smartphone addiction on the parent-child relationship; the way many digital tools trample on people’s privacy; and the social consequences of the lack of diversity on many tech teams, particularly in the context of the development of AI systems.

I believe that the internet is an amazing resource with the potential to bring people together on a global scale in a way never before possible, and I fear that this could be lost if we don’t solve some of the problems that have come with digital technologies. More than anything, I fear that if the tech industry doesn’t get better at self-regulating in ways that benefit society, governments will come in and sabotage the internet with well-intentioned but destructive regulations.

1 Like

Hi. I am Louise Bloom and I have worked in usabiltiy and digital content since the days of SIG-IA.

for the last ten years I have worked as a senior consultant with the Digital Workplace Group evaluating the usability of the employee intranets and digital workplaces of the world’s largest employers. In that time I have seen how tech vendors have pushed flawed products into the space, companies and governments have rushed to win the ‘race to digital’ and ultimately individuals have experienced all sorts of conflicts and difficulties as they are increasingly asked to operate in digital environments that are not capable for meeting the requirements.

I come from a communications and anthropology background and now I am studying Physiotherapy in the Nederlands and setting up a consulting business to try to match some of the health science of how the body and nervous system react to the ghost-stresses that technology creates to the design of environments, interfaces and tools themselves.

When people (normal people outside of tech) asked me what I do I used to explain it by saying ‘I am the human in the machine’. :slight_smile:

I am very excited to find this group and hope to learn a lot. It seems to be a growing movement of people who really understand the facts about technology and it’s use and are seeking to ensure that it doesn’t do harm.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/louisebloom/

It isn’t my intention to self promote, but I am seeking to build connections with others whose work and research can help deepen my knowledge and ultimately help to spread the debate.

2 Likes

Hi … I’m Keith … I’ve lived in the Seattle area for 17+ years. Before that I did some biomedical research at UPenn and got a M.S. in Math Education at Drexel. Most recently, I created and led a successful design thinking initiative at the large biotech company, Amgen. I’m interested in using design thinking to both change business culture and to help create more social justice. I’m hoping to get deeply involved in helping to realize the Center’s critically important mission.

1 Like

Hello there,

My name is Diane and I am a stay at home Mom from Chicago. Before choosing to stay at home with my two kids (ages 4 and 1), I studied Marketing and sold technology for 7 years.

Recently, I opted out of social media after deciding I wanted to take back the time I was spending on the various platforms. After seeing Tristan on 60 Minutes, it made me feel even more passionate about disconnecting to spend more time with the people I love and to start living. I started following Tristan and the Time Well Spent movement and am extremely excited about the Center for Humane Technology and this group. Glad to be a part of it!

My brother Andrew and I are currently working on a photo project called “The Little Big Experiment” which explores the balance of technology and early childhood development in the the 0-3yr age group. It’s a non judgmental question that we are posing and learning more and more about. Our photographs are of babies and toddlers on their parents phones in an otherwise exciting setting (beach/restaurant/the el train/ice cream shop) to pose the question. Here is our website if you’d like to check it out- www.thelittlebigexperiment.com

Diane

1 Like

Hello everyone!

My name is Kevin and I´m a consultant for a local firm specialized in Organizational Development. Mainly, I’ve been involved in studies conducted towards human resources management. In the last 2 years, we’ve applied strategies to reduce personnel turnover in companies from various sectors; mainly electromechanical, healthcare, and industrial products & services.

Trough quantitative analysis, I’ve observed that communication has been severely damaged due the excessive use of electronic devices. People have difficulties concentrating on their tasks, and lack the necessary social skills to cooperate. Because of the foregoing, I’ve been investigating about psychology, anthropology, neurology, human relations, and technology implications on productivity.

Not only am I concerned about these implications on business environments, the tendency is very well seen on casual settings. That is why I’ve come to this place and decided to take an initiative on this topic. I’m a young professional who’s engaged on incentivizing better relationships on his community by fostering the knowledge of this problem.

I hope I can learn a lot from the very experienced people who take part on this forum, so I can broader my perspective on this issue, understand how it presents on different contexts, and find suitable ways to approach it.

1 Like

Hi all – I’m a tiny little fish compared to all of you but I have a deep interest in this area. My background is in education and I stumbled into tech rather by accident in the 1990s when the faculty at my education college began to learn how to use email - I happened to be the go to person for Faculty Development. I was an early adopter of social networks beginning with dial up – then myspace, fb, twitter, etc. and have been following closely as I have watched the tech industry explode. What can I say, I have been stuck in the trough of disillusionment for years. I stumbled on an interview with Tristan Harris and knew I needed to be apart of this, I am currently undertaking a PhD in Information Studies at the University of Toronto – My thesis fits somewhere in the area of technological determinism - I guess. I hope I can add to this conversation. I should add I currently manage a small development team where we design educational software and multi media.

2 Likes