Infographic about backend harmful app design

@micheleminno Love it. If you could make the backgroun light blue it will make it stand out more

1 Like

What do you think of the background colour now, @sidnya?

Perfecto. Awesome :blush:

1 Like

Love this, great work @micheleminno!

Also, another analogy that I’ve been using to analogise the rise in distraction, is ‘books’.

A lot of people say “well, books and TV were seen as distractions when they were invented”.

My response typically goes as follows:

• “Yes, but what if that book knew you better than you knew yourself, and had analysed every bit of data about you to make necessary judgements on how to keep you reading it for longer, regardless of how much you actually enjoyed reading it, or how harmful the content was to your mental health.”
  • “What if the book was personalised to who you are, and tapped into your inner desires, insecurities, and fears in order to keep reading it?”
  • “Then, imagine if the book with-held information strategically to keep you interested in reading further and deeper, and every time you felt like it was time to stop reading the book, it pinged you with a notification with another cliffhanger that just kept you wanting to read more.”

Something like this…

2 Likes

Yes! There is this internet trend on commentary Youtube called (or at least I call it) “Phone Bad Book Good” that discredits people trying to raise awareness about tech dangers (though not on purpose) This is a splendid idea and a good next graphic.

1 Like

Here are the 4 pictures in our github repository.

Hi @sidnya, I saw you posted the infographic on Instagram, great!
Could you also add the resources I added above so it will be more ‘scientifically’ grounded (not necessarily all of them…)?

I copy them here:

1 Like

@micheleminno of course of course! I forgot about them Im sorry!

1 Like

Text:

Why is youtube so addictive? Because it recommends you videos picked up in the same broad domain but with a higher emotional impact on you.

Resources:

Picture:

1 Like

I like it. I am going to make some edits to the colors if that is okay, and post it at noon my time tomorrow! We are a killer team @micheleminno (-:

1 Like

Then maybe we can do another one with which addons you can install on your favourite browser to remove the related videos on youtube…

1 Like

I like what you did here and am wondering if you’d consider creating one that drills down a bit more? Someone posted the Google filter bubble story in this thread. What infographic story could you make showing that what is fed as -> serotonin and -> adrenaline is different for different people? For example, could you do a side by side or a 4 boxer that shows this? I’m thinking about how you give a visceral understanding of how this widens divergence of understanding.

2 Likes

Do you mean the same search done by 2 (or 4) different people and then showing the 2 (or 4) different search results giving each person a particular mix of serotonin/adrenaline?

@micheleminno for some reason instagram wont let me post this photo with a caption…i will try again tomorrow

1 Like

@micheleminno Yes. I think simplistically about a side-by-side or a 4-boxer, but I think you talented infographic folks likely have better ideas about how to make the meaning instantly obvious :slight_smile: I’m looking for the impact that shows how 2 people who get different things reinforced through the adrenaline/seratonin feed may end up farther apart (more entrenched?) than they started.

1 Like

Text: Here’s what happens when our searches are algorithmically biased in order to please us: we end up each one in their own comfortable bubble of self-assuring search results!

Resources:

Measuring the Filter Bubble
TED Talk - The Filter Bubble

Image:

@Bozon, @kkw could you provide some good resources about that, to add some evidence to the infographic?

3 Likes

Measuring the Filter Bubble
TED Talk - The Filter Bubble

3 Likes

Will be going up todat if its ready!

1 Like

Yes @sidnya, if you don’t have anything to refine it’s ready!

1 Like

Though this is not about app design, maybe we could develop a visual for “human flourishing”, so people understand the HTC goal?