Idea: Humane Tech Conference (editable post)

The idea of having a conference where we could meet, share ideas, listen to people in our field, and so forth has been brought up before. I thought I’d create this wiki post to see how many members might be interested in this idea and how far we might go in the planning.

Note that this is a proposal that will be made formally when the time is right (i.e., when we have the resources to realize it). If you are interested in dreaming wildly along with me, please edit the following elements according to your preference and interest. I am starting with mine.

Month/year

• May 2020

City

• Honolulu

Institution

• University of Hawaii at Manoa

Possible Cosponsors

Speakers

• Franklin Foer, author of World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech
  • Shoshana Zuboff, author of The Age of Surveillance Capitalism
  • Aral Balkan, activist

I am very interested and would be happy to be involved. I love all your suggested speakers and I’m adding my own abbreviated wish list t (Karen Key)
*Jaron Lanier, author of Ten Reasons for Deleting all Your Social Media Accounts Right Now and Your Are Not a Gadget

• James Williams, Author of Stand Out of Light: Freedom and Resistance in the Attention Economy
    Zeynep Tufekci - digital sociologist
    Safiya Noble - author of Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism