Examples of what is coming to us in the near future

In the topic How to be 'Team Human' in the digital future - Ted Talk of Douglas Rushkoff we saw an inspiring video by Doug Rushkoff, in which he mentioned a strange meetup with a secretive group of elite hedgefund managers.

Rushkoff has written specifically about that meeting with these billionaires interested in their own survival. I am convinced that many of the super-wealthy elites - like the climate-change deniers among them - already made up their own minds and know the solutions to our problems: they will survive without too much impact to their own rich lives. And the rest of us don’t matter. They are clearly not on Team Human.

Here is the article:

And the interesting Hacker News discussion about it: Survival of the Richest | Hacker News

Today another article along the same lines was published (which I found through Mastodon… thank you Strypey :slight_smile:):

This is an important and insightful article, and we should be aware of the enormous influence these tech billionaires are wielding, that is not perse good for humanity at large. Some summaries from the Conclusion of the article (but I recommend you read the article in its entirety):

Conclusion

Three substantial points warrant noting here:

First, if the fate of humanity indeed hinges on the control and distribution of resources, these tech entrepreneurs and their associates certainly control the allocation of vast resources. The same criticisms of the undemocratic and unaccountable nature of philanthrocapitalism apply here also: these entrepreneurs are working hard on creating a world – a future – in their own image.

Second, what is at stake in the images of the future of these tech entrepreneurs is the fate of democracy, a political system already under considerable strain globally. Technology is the means by which a promised land not governed by national or international politics but by capital could potentially be engendered.

Finally, although these tech entrepreneurs have big ideas and are not afraid to invest into them, it does betray some poverty of imagination that they are incapable of imagining a non-capitalist future of freedom and growth beyond the confines of the logic of capital here on Earth. It is telling that they are hedging their bets on space as the more likely or desirable future scenario than the prospect of global political cooperation leading to a shared global future.

Note: I tweeted this post for more exposure (please Like and Retweet :slight_smile:)

4 Likes