Eric Schmidt's Great Leap Forward

(First of all, a meta-comment. Are there any, pro-laissez-faire, libertarian-leaning peeps on this site besides myself?)

Normally I don’t share NYT articles, but this is special. One, there’s no paywall, and two, it gives us a direct view into the perspective of a full-fledged globalist technocrat on world affairs, and the message people like him want to send to the common man.

Eric Schmidt (ex-Google CEO, net worth estimated $14 billion) goes begging to the American people to finance his dreams.

He does not dazzle his readers with promises of self-driving cars, zero-latency websites, or airports with good internet, like other tech hucksters. It’s not in Schmidt’s DNA to waste time on flights of fancy like that. He cuts straight to the point, delivering threats of global chaos with perfect objective deadpan neutrality.

Now we are in a technology competition with China that has profound ramifications for our economy and defense…

…If A.I. advances elsewhere outpace those of U.S. companies and the U.S. government, and give commercial and military advantages to our rivals, “the resulting disadvantage to the United States could endanger U.S. national security and global stability.”

What I find striking about the use of China in this essay is that Schmidt wants Americans to see China as both an exemplar of modern progress and an evil empire to be feared. I believe we are seeing a mismatch between the true feelings of Schmidt (admiration for totalitarian power in China and elsewhere) and the way he panders to his audience (the language of competition and patriotism). More commentary on that at the end.

He goes on to ask for money: double the federal funding to an array of fields, and then double again, and increasing the military’s budget. He also wants the government to “incentivize” a rival to Huawei.

Now why would billionaire capitalists need all of this from average joes? The answer is simple. The projects they want to build simply don’t make financial sense.

Just look at 5G, for example. Projected costs are in the trillions, and the industry’s own researchers admit that profit margins for 5G will be very thin. In other words, there is no demand. At least not enough to justify an investment from any bank or VC. And in the era of Uber, Tesla, and WeWork, that’s saying a lot about the viability of 5G.

That is why Schmidt is turning to the public sector. It is these ambitious mega-projects, not ordinary consumer-facing tech, that Schmidt is afraid we’ll “fall behind” on.

Finally, we must address the concerns Americans rightly have about privacy, security, algorithmic bias, technical standards and the potential impact new technologies will have on the work force. If the American public does not trust the benefits of new technologies, those doubts will hold us back. Despite earnest efforts, the tech community has not demonstrated convincingly that it can regulate itself. The wide-ranging societal impact of A.I. in particular warrants government involvement.

If the abundant reminders of his credentials and prestige weren’t enough, Schmidt wants to make it absolutely clear here that he is not like you. He is part of an elite group of people called the “tech community.”

That’s why Schmidt’s use of the pronoun “we” has changed here. It no longer includes the people he’s asking for money (the American public), but only members of the tech community. The tech community has no concern about privacy as enshrined in the Bill of Rights or equality as exemplified in the Civil Rights Act. No, those topics are not important to them except for being hobgoblins stuck in the minds of Americans that impede the work of this chosen few. However, the Americans have them by the jewels presently with this Techlash business, so let’s just pass some laws already and get on with it.

He ends the essay by invoking China again.

Ultimately, the Chinese are competing to become the world’s leading innovators, and the United States is not playing to win.

We must show that these new technologies can advance individual liberty and strengthen free societies. For the American model to win, the American government must lead.

Schmidt speaks with the language of free enterprise and competition here. But this is not a game for you or me. Competition is not between entrepreneurs for the consumer’s dollar, but between nation-states for geopolitical influence. Whoever builds the most base stations, the biggest supercomputers, and the widest dragnet gets the prize of imposing their laws and culture on the rest of the world. So America needs to either pony up or lose the contract.

Let’s go back to that one little paragraph he writes on ethics.

Finally, we must address the concerns Americans rightly have about privacy, security, algorithmic bias, technical standards and the potential impact new technologies will have on the work force.

I have a better idea than addressing other people’s concerns with laws you won’t follow anyway. Put yourselves in our shoes and ask yourselves: what kind of world do I want to build for my children, no matter which country they live in? What freedoms do I want them to have, and what limits do I want others to respect regarding them? Build the technology that can make that a reality and put it on the market.

And if we like the sound of it, we will buy it. Voluntarily.

6 Likes

Have you seen the TV series Mr. Robot, @penmanship?

1 Like

I love your last paragraph starting with, " I have a better idea."I hope we can connect. I am on Telegram and Signal as GandhiGretaLover, or find me at Gary at our website, GetCourageNow. I am curious, given what you say in that last paragraphy, if you think that the tech we need now is tech that empowers what historically for the past 125 years has been the most effective strategy for expanding human rights and freedoms, and preventing and overthrowing autocratic regimes, namely nonviolent civil resistance. If so, would technology that can better assist that strategy be arguably the highest best use of tech?

Excellent article analysis @penmanship. I’m disappointed in the community here that your post hasn’t garnered the attention that I think it deserves.

Eric is a colonizer. His real goal is for the US empire and its tech companies to further dominate the world. But since it’s not cool to say “let’s conquer and technologically enslave the world” outright, he pretends this is about “outdoing China” instead. It is not. The real reason is to take over the world.

We are in a sad world ruled by one empire the United States of America, due to economic dominance, winner-take all natural economics of tech, economies of scale, network effects, and the unreal concentration of wealth in just this one country. The USA is a colonizer controlled by and for its millionaires. Anybody should find this extremely troubling, including Americans like myself.

I strongly believe that the US and many other countries too need to spend much more on technological research and development. Government spending on innovation for the common good can bring us all to the happy future we all want.

For example if governments spend money to develop a health cure, they can simply give it away for free to people who would otherwise die. That’s the ideal and the difference between the corporate world and governments. Governments can actually do thing in the best interest of people. Companies usually do not even try to cure diseases as a cure would mean fewer customers for them.

When it comes to info tech, real AI is the big prize. Also government and nonprofit funding could go to creating a humane tech ecosystem with humanity’s needs first rather than us being controlled by mega billionaires who prize only their own power.

China, yes it is a human rights-violating country.

Yet on the other hand American culture is worse than the culture of the average country, so its propagation brings the world down.

The US is controlled by the 19 million millionaires in that country, and is obsessed with money and power. Yet the culture in the country is bad. People in the US are forced into hyper-competition due to hyper-capitalism, even every centimetre of that country is a good to be sold for the highest price. There are few public goods in the US, each person is in a brutal fight for survival. In a system like that there are no winners, because the country and landscape is trashed, culture is junk, people are consumerist overworked zombies, and health is destroyed. Each person is forced into a bloodthirsty quest to stay alive. Therefore the US is not a truly advanced ccountry.

It is important that the US becomes a true advanced country, one that values human interests, health, culture, equality, and respects its own people rather than taking advantage of them. Because right now the US is merely a terrible tool for millionaires to suck money and power out of the US and world population.

I’m catching up here because I kind of wandered off for a while.

I am curious, given what you say in that last paragraphy, if you think that the tech we need now is tech that empowers what historically for the past 125 years has been the most effective strategy for expanding human rights and freedoms, and preventing and overthrowing autocratic regimes, namely nonviolent civil resistance. If so, would technology that can better assist that strategy be arguably the highest best use of tech?

Thank you for reading :slightly_smiling_face: @garykrane

I don’t think there is a highest or best use of tech. You use tech to achieve your goals and the goals of human beings are all different. We can’t say “resistance is the highest use of tech” because then we are saying that protestors and activists are the most valuable and most preferred people. It is not the engineer’s job to use tech to influence human striving into a form that they prefer. It is their job to unleash the potential of the human being by enhancing our abilities.

I do think there is a more humane way to build tech, which is why I came here in the first place. Humane tech is like a more general type of ergonomics which encompasses the psychological and social as well as the physical. If you can isolate the reason why a person is using technology and then design it for the most efficient and comfortable deployment, you have created humane or freedom-giving tech. If you create tech for its own sake, or for the lowest cost, or to achieve some other goal not shared by the user of the tech, you have created inhumane or freedom-taking tech.

For example, why is this person using a smart phone? Is it because they feel lonely? If so, then the more ergonomic solution would be to create a smart phone with no screen. Why? Because when the human being gazes into the screen of a phone, they are not connecting with other humans, making their loneliness worse. So it is not humane to create a smart phone with a screen. Maybe you disagree with this exact point but I actually don’t care if we all agree on what specific designs are or are not humane. It’s also dependent on the context of the person’s society and broader world, which are not fixed in time. The point is that the tech should serve the user of the tech and expand his or her horizon. If it does that then it is humane tech.

I have a few things that caught my attention in both the article and the subsequent contributions from other participants. To answer the meta-question, my meta-answer is yes, I am a libertarian. The first thing that concerns me about the Humane Tech site in general is that there are so many variances that many contributors get diluted amongst the countless discussions, many of which overlap in some way.

A key note to keep in mind when looking at China is that it has a separation of economics and state and is unique in the world in this regard. Socially a communist country but economically a capitalist one.

The final takeaway that really never ceases to amaze me is the level of ignorance around American capitalism and free enterprise. In my experience being born and raised in America, I have been at the bottom of the pile and have many seasons of tasting the top of the middle class. The thing I noticed about the two positions is that neither of them were by luck or chance but a direct result of my choices and how I positioned myself. Happiness does not just happen and money will not make it so. You have to make it. The fact that so many have subscribed to the beleif that increasing social services will in some way make this better or more attainable have missed the true cost and more importantly, the real consequence of such a thing.

1 Like

Nice no spoilers but I see what you did there :grin:.

Look at Myanmar coup that’s where many rare earths are extracted.

I would take anything from the ceo of “don’t be evil” with great cynicism.

He’s no White Rose but he’s no altruist either.