When Apps Get Your Medical Data, Your Privacy May Go with It.

“Americans may soon be able to get their medical records through smartphone apps as easily as they order takeout food from Seamless or catch a ride from Lyft.”

“But prominent medical organizations are warning that patient data-sharing with apps could facilitate invasions of privacy — and they are fighting the change.” There is a risk that this data sharing scheme might be used to deny you a job or insurance coverage.

2 Likes

It will be a murky legal issue as personal health data is protected under hippa and all kinds of safeguards for privacy that are loosely defined. Basically if the patient thinks their data isn’t private, the onus of privacy is on the corporation to comply or be in violation. I assume they (big tech) will buy their way out as always like when supreme court rules telecoms are immune to class action because the customer signs arbitration clause in each purchase contract so they have no right to sue. Not good…

We have instant access to certain lab work on the web, supposedly “protected”. That’s dubious enough, but I don’t think I want to involve an app running on a mobile device. It just seems top be the most vulnerable surface (unless you count the numerous IoT devices that have unsophisticated, non-updated firmware). Speaking of Lyft, how many have had Lift charging your card for rides in another country? I have more than once and I have read that I am not alone. Maybe the charge didn’t go through an app, or maybe?

1 Like

It’s all relative. Many kiosk screens on USA ATM’s that are active and in service are running windows xp in 2019, seems legit.

If you really want to have a heart attack, go to any air traffic control tower and ask them to update software lol. Much of western infrastructure is held together by shoestring software that was not secure when the year had a 19 in front.

That is why ATP advanced persistent threat is working so well against USA: everything and everyone is always online and it’s just too easy.

Not a good sign of things to come: