What Personal Data do companies like Facebook and Google know about us?

Yes, it could have occurred like this, but there are more ways this could happen. Like through ‘proximity matching’, for example when you meet your friend and he visited an ICO site on his phone, or conducted a search… since you are both on the same wifi network, or cell masts, and known to be friends, FB can now deduce that you probably have an interest for ICO’s too.

Another way to do this would be with the aforementioned (evil) ultrasound technology (don’t know if WA uses this). Your friend would type something about ICO and an ultrasound burst (above 18,000 Hz range) containing that info was picked up by your own microphone, and transferred. Crazy stuff…

This is totally like Orwell “1984”.
If you give this “tool” to the politicians, future is looking bright.
If you see President picture on billboards and your face will not radiate love and respect for the president, “they” will come for you :grinning:

1 Like

@georgy “If you give this “tool” to the politicians, future is looking bright.
If you see President picture on billboards and your face will not radiate love and respect for the president, “they” will come for you :grinning:

Basically these are things are happening in China new Surveillance State.

“Their goal is behavioral modification on a massive scale. Chinese planners have announced their intention to tap the vast AI and surveillance infrastructure currently under construction to generate “social credit” scores for all of China’s 1.5 billion people. With a high score, traveling, securing a loan, buying a car and other benefits will be easy to come by. Run afoul of the authorities, and problems begin.”

1 Like

But It’s good. Everyone will walk with happy faces. We growing, today we have fake smiles tomorrow we’re going to fake happy faces

1 Like

And yet more unsavoury revelations:

2 Likes

@aschrijver. Scary. It seems that everything can be manipulated these days at the expense of the majority of people. Minority rule is the catchwords today.

"The recent document, described as “confidential,” outlines a new advertising service that expands how the social network sells corporations’ access to its users and their lives: Instead of merely offering advertisers the ability to target people based on demographics and consumer preferences, Facebook instead offers the ability to target them based on how they will behave, what they will buy, and what they will think. These capabilities are the fruits of a self-improving, artificial intelligence-powered prediction engine, first unveiled by Facebook in 2016 and dubbed “FBLearner Flow.”

1 Like

Maybe I’m misunderstanding FB/privacy…

We all learned in middle school about knowing classmates social information (likes, dislikes etc…) This is no different… Did you share random information about people you knew with strangers? This is called gossip,

What google and FB are doing is like opening a file cabinet and rolling it out on the street without asking everyone if it’s ok… the anonymity makes it worse because some people really do care and wenever asked.

FB/google needs to model appropriate social behavior on the internet…

FB and google- if you are going to roll my file out on the street can you ask first?

They just making money, it’s that simple.

I think it’s careless as well, it’s not just money.

Since there is no social feedback in tech, no face to say “really???” Most things in life are reconsidered when one sees the reaction on a persons face. In tech there is no social opportunity. It’s almost aggressive in a way.

This website maintains a collection of apps and websites that allow you to request the personal data that was collected from you over time:

Request your personal data from 100+ companies.

Hundreds of companies store & process information about you. In many cases, you’re entitled to this data, as well as information on how it’s being used & shared. We read these companies’ privacy policies to figure out how you can get this data about you.

https://try.mydatarequest.com

1 Like

This website runs a number of tests to find out which information you leak when you are surfing the web:

2 Likes

Thanks for posting @aschrijver I’m not sure I have the time to go through all these sites.

Years ago technology made life more efficient but with having to protect privacy and thumb through to see who’s cheating me- I’m not so sure now.

1 Like

Don’t stop at Facebook … consider how aggregation of data can allow for far more effective personalized targeting … while Cambridge Analytica has shut their doors (and perhaps access to insight on the data they actually consolitated) … some insight can be found by the short presentation given in 2016 by the then CEO Alexander Nix

Psychographics derived from Likes (and other behavior) combined with other sources with credit card records, voting records, property ownership, … “5000 data points on every adult in America”. With that you may have the persuasion profiles that Tristan’s Stanford associates developed and an opportunity at maximal success persuasion … (with real time human monitoring in 2016, but no doubt AIs will be doing that in the future. And of course the paid placements (not always appearing as ads, some as news) can go on any site where Facebook or some other ad-placement company can provide access to the target user. — it’s not a pretty picture, and it’s going to get worse.

1 Like

This whitepaper “Google Data Collection” was just released and highlights the endless ways that Google collects data on us). The topics covered are:

• A day in the life of a Google user
  • Data collection through Android and Chrome platforms
  • Data collection through publisher and advertiser technologies
  • Amount of data collected during a minimal use of Google products
  • Data collected from Google’s key popular applications aimed at individuals
  • Products with high future potential for data aggregation
2 Likes

The following article details the fact that it is not guaranteed that Facebook does not snoop on the actual content of your private WhatsApp messages, even though they are end-to-end encrypted (and with the non-existing ethics at FB, there is a reasonable chance they do):

“The object of this article is not to claim that Facebook snoops on WhatsApp chats, but that end-to-end encryption is used by both WhatsApp and Facebook as a disingenuous and misleading argument to reassure the public.”

Facebook has created a change to their platform, so you can now check who have uploaded their contact list to be used for advertisement targeting.

I am not on FB myself (means they ‘only’ have a shadow profile about me, which I can’t download and check), but you can see the results of this for yourself.

Some interesting dicussion is going on in this thread on Hacker News:

I just counted and Facebook tells me that 1,147 advertisers have uploaded a contact list that contained my info, specifically found on Facebook :

These advertisers are running ads using a contact list they or their partner uploaded that includes info about you. This info was collected by the advertiser or their partner.
Typically this information is your email address or phone number.

Want to know what’s funny? The email address I use for Facebook was created only for Facebook. I have never given it out to anyone else, ever. The inbox for that account only contains emails from Facebook. I have never given Facebook my phone number. I have never clicked on an ad in Facebook. I have never connected an app with my Facebook account. Facebook itself is the only entity which has ever had my contact info associated with my account. So tell me, how did 1,147 other businesses and groups get their hands on my info if I’ve never given it out? I can’t wait to see what the explanation is when this feature launches end of the month.

In a response:

Typically this information is your email address or phone number.

Which means they are also using other types of information to identify you, and since your email and phone number can’t be used, it must be those other information types. I’d love to know what they are.

My count is 11,885 advertisers, for what it’s worth. It looks like car dealerships are the majority of them… I’ve never bought a car from a dealership. Very odd. Some interesting comment

All you have to do to understand how much information Facebook, Amazon, Google, Apple, Microsoft and other tech giants are collecting is simply locate their apps on Google Play and read the app permissions such as the Facebook example below:

To learn more read my article Legal Malware (Apps): How Tech Giants Collect Personal and Professional Info Through Apps at: www.MySmartPrivacy.com

1 Like

This post by The Guardian clearly tells what you need to know in great detail.

98 Personal Data Points that Facebook Uses to Target Ads to You. These are the data they collected from you from online and offlines sources, aggregate it, analyze it and created a profile of you for targetted ads. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/08/19/98-personal-data-points-that-facebook-uses-to-target-ads-to-you/

That article is obsolete and right around that time facebook and twitter were getting scrutiny about it by usa watchdog groups ngos and government so the answer was to move the main datacenters to ireland where USA law didn’t apply hahahahha!

I can’t believe folks still have accounts and log in, I only had an account to send messages to people that I don’t talk to anymore.

Best way I heard it described was someone was saying about how google started with just a search engine and could have been considered a search engine company at that time. Now they are a tracking company it’s their bread and butter and all big t ech facebook the isp’s apple samasung I mean who isn’t tracking you and making bank selling ad data back and forth?

Even the FCC was caught by their own internal investigator a year ago hoarding location data and selling it in mass and realtime to thrid parties who are not beholden to the constitution and selling it to bounty hunters and whoever else.

Snowden said that we need a better internet and the old system of everything having huge piles of metadata these tycoons are gorging on doesn’t need to be, we can send the same info with unique cryptographic hash that is representative of whatever ID or voter info or health data and only the user and entity they are using can see the content or any identifiable information.

It’s kind of an open secret in computer science much I sure like any alternative to gasoline and oil. The one’s making the most money off of it have invested much into suppressing other views on the subject.

Churchill said something about it I forget the context but it was a report I guess critical of him or his government maybe what they did in India or the east and he said of the report in a newspaper, “The report by virtue of it’s length ensures that no one will read it.” And he was right and either got to power from there or stayed when under scrutiny.

It’s very hard to ask those with the keys to a well that pumps out billions each second to turn it off. Think of it another way: Look at amazon. Their main revenue is AWS so many sites use it globally but much of that commutation is analytics for big tech driving these ads.

Using the gas analogy once more if there is an alternative, would be nice to use our same engines and gas lines to the station and not have to change all of our infrastructure. Bucking the status quo requires much thought so that it can be replaced with something better and not worse.

But humans can do this we can’t let basically 5 dudes run the world we can do better. (looks at Bill Gates smh)