Most of us have been guilty of the following errors at one time or another. Let’s keep them in mind whenever the urge to post or comment moves us.
- Expressing thoughts or feelings because they occur to us and not because they have real value for the community.
- Failing to do research on a topic before talking about it. Doing research means looking up posts or comments that have covered the same ground.
- Not taking time to express ourselves well enough to be understood, to communicate effectively.
- Introducing a new topic–usually an app under development–without saying enough to enable people to evaluate it adequately. Just posting a few words and a link is not enough.
- Posting a link without clarification and brief summary text.
- Straying off topic.
Let’s remember that the forum is not a storehouse of what occurs to us on the spur of the moment and what we have a spare minute to express. It is a place for thoughtful, reasoned comment–ideas that help others, enlarge or enrich the collective understanding.
When the urge to post or comment strikes you, remember that you can draft a response and return to it later.