Technologies, protocols and standards for a better future Web

No, I am sorry, but I would not advise these. The problem with everything blockchain is that it all sounds super… but it really is not, and maybe will never be. I’ll refer you to my previous post to explain that and be sure to follow the links to my earlier posts here and here.

With regards to new internet standards I’d like to point to this post: Towards the Vision of The Decentralized Web!

More specifically the project Solid, led by Tim Berners-Lee, is quite interesting. It is based on latest W3C standards… an ongoing application research and evaluation of the next-gen web.

The schema.org that you mention, @Free, is just one of many Linked Data ontologies that can be used to make web data more meaningful and self-describing.

Interesting new developments regarding decentralized social media standards are ActivityStreams and ActivityPub, both based on Linked Data (JSON-LD). And in parallel the W3C develops other social media standards.

With regards to privacy Decentralized Identifiers (DID) are interesting. See also this PDF on Combining ActivityPub with DID.

There is much more, but these are directions I’d be looking at before waging into anything blockchain-related.

PS. I really liked DatProject.org before (but going their own way… the cool Beaker is based on them, though), and IPFS.io looks promising too (the non-blockchain part)

3 Likes