Speak Easy Campaign Theme: Introducing language to change habits and culture

Via the Guardian I came upon another term, that I will add to the Speak Easy candidate list: Ghosting

Here the concept is explained in detail:

While in the article Dating apps are taken as an example, I’ve experienced this in many other places online: When having an online conversation with someone - even a good friend or family member - suddenly different norms apply than when speaking face-to-face. A conversation may suddenly stop, no reply coming anymore.

Though TimeWellSpent, i.e. face-to-face real-world interaction is always preferable, there is still this thing that we used to call Netiquette - how to behave on the internet.

According to Kate Leaver (appropriate name, btw) Ghosting - especially on dating sites - can have serious implications:

“I think people are too frightened, or too lazy, or too cowardly to have the difficult conversations that need to be had,” Leaver adds. “There has been some pretty extreme psychological damage for people who are living without any explanation as to why they’ve been ghosted because we tend to fill in the silence with our own insecurity.”