Speak Easy Campaign Theme: Introducing language to change habits and culture

“Speak Easy” Campaign Theme

Info

• Name: Speak Easy

Latest version is on Github)

Speak Easy: Introducing language to change habits and culture

Summary

Raising awareness by introducing and popularizing new urban language. Brainstorming for terminology to be inject into our day-to-day conversations through smart campaigns and social media memes.

Topics

• Social consciousness
  • Public opinion & pressure
  • Behavior & habits
  • (Internet) memes

Objectives

• Promote widespread adoption of new language terms designed to improve bad tech habits.

• Create an ongoing process of finding and launching new terminology and memes.

Description

Words have immense power. Language is our common medium and determines how we understand each other. Memes are like words, but then in the form of imagery that sticks to our mind. Together they can change our perception.

In this theme we’ll execute campaigns to wield this power, to change minds and perceptions. To influence subconsciously. By strategically introducing and promoting both language and memes we will change how people look at their tech gadgets and the way they are using it.

The first campaign - and the proof-of-concept - promotes a term that already exists, in a way: The rise of the Phone Zombie… the person that is standing next to you, yet is not really there. We will reinforce this term and the image that comes with it, so people will be ashamed when they are called that name, take care to avoid the risk of being perceived as one: a Phone Zombie.

Strategy

• This theme has a social media strategy that obviates much of individual campaign strategies (TODO)

Campaigns

Resources

I don’t understand this; please explain. Are you saying that many of the campaign strategies don’t apply here because this will be implemented on social media?

I should probably add obviates the need for …. What I meant was, that if you take the strategy for Phone Zombie and the next language term, the way to go about promoting them will be very similar. So no need to define that in each campaign again and again, bit rather only once in their common theme.

1 Like

I suggest campaigns with a positive message. Perhaps people are more receptive to positive messages and may also be more keen to spread what is positive.

We can show people alternatives to tech, or at least healthier ways to use technology. For example we could suggest making phone calls, seeing people in person and sending emails and show how this is healthy and fun compared to social media. We can also show people all the things they’re missing out on because they’re losing time to technology.

Some personality types are most persuaded by statistics. We can show them how they can better use their limited time to have hobbies and friends and exercise and obtain an education and sleep and so on. We can even persuade people they’ll live healthier and longer if they devote more time to their health and friends rather than social media.

The possibilities are numerous. Does anybody have any ideas for positive messages?

1 Like

Yes, positive messages can work best in some cases, but it really depends on the term. This topic deals with a Campaign Theme, that can have any number of individual Campaigns to introduce new terminology or a meme.

In the case of Phone Zombies (which is really part of a separate topic here) the campaign deliverables will be funny and hilarious and the purpose is make people more conscious of the fact that ‘zombie-ing out’ is not really social.

Both suggestions of you are good ones, and we can brainstorm a good meme or terminology to go with it.

PS I changed the topic message above to refer to Github, where the most recent version of the theme is maintained (we still have to find best way of synchronizing github with forum when reporting progrees)

Via the Guardian I came upon another term, that I will add to the Speak Easy candidate list: Ghosting

Here the concept is explained in detail:

While in the article Dating apps are taken as an example, I’ve experienced this in many other places online: When having an online conversation with someone - even a good friend or family member - suddenly different norms apply than when speaking face-to-face. A conversation may suddenly stop, no reply coming anymore.

Though TimeWellSpent, i.e. face-to-face real-world interaction is always preferable, there is still this thing that we used to call Netiquette - how to behave on the internet.

According to Kate Leaver (appropriate name, btw) Ghosting - especially on dating sites - can have serious implications:

“I think people are too frightened, or too lazy, or too cowardly to have the difficult conversations that need to be had,” Leaver adds. “There has been some pretty extreme psychological damage for people who are living without any explanation as to why they’ve been ghosted because we tend to fill in the silence with our own insecurity.”