With our newly revised Mission and Vision and our participation in Mozilla Open Leaders the Community Team is preparing an overhaul of the forum structure to represent the new direction we follow.
In a wiki post to forum staff I wrote down a retrospective on the current forum organization, that I’ll post here, so you can give your additional feedback, additions and remarks.
Below you’ll find current structure, rationale behind it, and retrospective remarks.
Prefered by CHT because of strategic + awareness focus as main community themes
- The main categories represent strategic pillars
The subcategories under strategic pillars represent focus areas / breakdown of HT
Community commons groups community-related activities
Time Well Spent as familiar term refers back to TWS movement
- Allows people to advertise their HT wares, receive rigorous feedback
Pillar - Awareness (Cultural awakening)
- Wellbeing - Relationships - Privacy - Children - Projects & campaigns ---> (new topics need moderator approval)
- Projects & campaigns is exclusively for community-driven initiatives
- Relationships is unclear in its exact meaning
- Wellbeing too large in scope, could have e.g. mental + physical health posed separately
- Projects & campaigns not clear what its for, or that new topics need moderator approval
- Subcategories are missing, e.g. Privacy invasion has a reason —> advertising, etc.
Pillar - Advocacy (Public / political pressure)
- Projects & Campaigns ---> (new topics need moderator approval)
- We still focus on creating Public pressure, but leave advocating / political pressure to CHT
- We have no projects or campaigns in this category at all at the moment (some ideas exist, though)
Pillar - Engagement (Involve employees / the workfloor)
- (no subcategories)
- We want to involve technologists to help creating solutions, but the pillar will be driven by CHT
Pillar - Humane Design (Application of HT)
- Defining Humane Technology - Ethics - Exemplars
- Defining HT subcategory leads to endless discussion to redefine us
- Ethics was added late. It is an important subject, and pervasive throughout all HT areas
- Exemplars is unclearly defined, we might just drop this, and turn into a community website section
- Community principles - Announcements - Events & Meetups - Help Wanted - Introductions
- Community principles needs no subcategory. It should be an easy-to-find document somewhere
- Help Wanted is unclear … members asking help, job postings, community contributions needed?
- Introductions is not needed as subcategory, it basically consists of a single topic
Time Well Spent
- Your Apps & Tools - News Digest - Recommended Reading
- TWS meaning is unclear. We might redefine as ‘time well spent’ refering to community-building activity
- Your Apps & Tools is good for HT advertisements, but ‘brutal’ feedback aspect needs more explaining
- News Digest can be removed, we can’t keep up with this anyway
- Recommended Reading is unclear, we need to solve this differently (e.g. community website + bookclub)