Reality Shock Campaign: Using short, dramatic video's to shock people into awareness

Reality Shock Campaign

Info

Summary

Series of short, dramatic/impactful videos that illustrate the pervasive use of technology and rapid, drastic changes in our society, leading to introspection and pondering the question: “Are we really fine with this?”

Goals

• Shock the audience

• Lead to introspection and questioning

• Make the audience think and reach their own conclusions

• Provoke, rather than convince

Audience

• All ages from 16

Success criteria

• Number of views/hits
  • Measure of positive impact to be defined (e.g. percentage of “likes”, comments from viewers)

Retrospective

• No retrospective has been held yet. The first retrospective is planned at [retrospective date].

Description

Argumentation, reasoning and “lectures” only go so far, hence the pressing need to first trigger an “emotional” response.

The campaign will feature short videos (2-3 minutes each) that aim to be dramatic and impactful through the combined use of words, cinematography and music.

It does not aim to explicitly pursue a specific agenda, push on the audience a clear message, or impose a “lecture”. Rather, it aims to provoke introspection by telling provocative stories, the conclusions of which are left to the audience.

Why is it important to adopt a “neutral” approach based on providing factual observations in a spectacular and dramatic form? Because this campaign is based on the principle that we will not change our behaviors on the mere basis of facts and reason if we have no motivation to challenge our thinking in the first place and take a step back from our habits. The dramatic videos aim to shock and leave a strong impression that ideally will lead to wondering where each of us stands in all this.

Deliverables

Video: “Caffeine Injection”

Video: “Dirty laundry”

Video: “Memories of a bartender”

Strategy

• This campaign does not require a strategy. Strategy is defined on the Theme, or in Deliverables.

Funding

• Funding may be required to produce deliverables, on a case by case basis.

Milestones

Resources

• This theme has no additional resources. Please edit or comment to add your relevant links.
1 Like

@anon51879794 and @micheleminno have done wonderful work on this campaign.

@micheleminno has produced a storyboard that I recommend people look at. The drawings are quite rough but still give a sense of mood, story movement, character development. Very nice, and he also has links to the music he wants to use.

2 Likes

Yes, wow, the storyboard is truly great @micheleminno! Lots of work went into that.

1 Like

Thank you @patm and @aschrijver! On my computer I have also a video I did with a kind of animated storyboard with the right music segments, to see if all flows, but I think I can’t upload it for songs’ copyright issues.

Yes, that is an issue. We still need to find out what is and is not allowed in that regard. You could add a comment of that nature to https://github.com/humanetech-community/humanetech-community-awareness/issues/17

1 Like

Do we want to consider Garage Band music, i.e., creating original music? Probably not, but maybe we can keep it as an option.

GB does organize music by decades, so it is possible to search, for example, for 70s or 80s drumbeats.

Here is a CHT PSA I made several months ago as an experiment.

For my video in particular I would not consider royalty free music like GB, I need the actual songs… but in general yes, it could be useful.

1 Like

I have just found some physcical objects (via this tweet) to raise awareness about privacy and dystopia, that I would like to share.

Their intended use may be a bit nefarious, i.e. having your kids be obedient because they think they may be watched by Santa or some Fairy. But when given in the right context, they can serve to alarm parents that this is the world we are going to. Surveillance capitalism dystopia.

The Fairy Cam

dummy-child-surveillance-cam

dummy-child-surveillance-cam2

Available for order here:

Santa Elf Surveillance Cam

Available (unfortunately) via Amazon:

I do not know if this is possible, but would you consider posting these videos to the Humane Tech Community Instagram? I know there is an account, but I am unsure who runs it etc. It may be a good way to get the word out! These types of videos are particularity successful on the platform as well. Instagram videos are easy to share and spread fast. Just a thought!

Hi Siddhi, I run the Instagram account, but did not take any action there. You may like Instagram as many people do, but in fact they are one the biggest causes of tech harm.

I am not too happy that I need to install the smartphone app as only way to contribute. We are way off from having videos to share. And we also have a YouTube channel (managed by me too). When we do need IG, then I’ll look for someone else to manage the channel.

BTW, Overview of social media channels is in Campaigners inbox in Social media channels of the Humane Tech Community. If on-topic, you can follow-up there.

Okay! I know Instagram is sketchy, it is just an option to undermine it. Will check on that link.

1 Like