Is there a place for a Chief Humanification Officer at companies?

I just saw this post on LI by Christian Kromme, Futurist:

Technology by itself is not the disruptor. Not being human-centric is the biggest threat to any organisation. So I thought, perhaps it is a good idea to introduce the CHO (Chief Humanification Officer) role.

Someone responsible for making the jobs, processes, products and services within an organisation 100% human-centric. The final goal of the CHO is to empower every human-being in the organisation towards complete self-organisation, so his own job becomes obsolete in the end!

What do you think, good idea or not?
Is your organisation ready for the CHO rol?
What would be the ideal age of a CHO?

WDYT… is this a good idea? Is there enough in this role to be of sufficient enough benefit to a company to justify it? What would be the tasks of the CHO?

2 Likes

Certainly! Maybe a related Q is: which companies have something like this, and what are they called? Definitely not the same title across the board.

Good question… I added it to the LI thread.

FYI it is here: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6417715502956703744

I think “humanification” of products, should be covered by designers, product managers that should be aware of Humane Design.
Separate position just for “humanification” is too expensive for most of the companies, except the biggest ones.

Realistically, I think this would be more likely to be the job of a consultant. I could see room for a consulting firm who specializes in helping companies implement humane tech principles - both on the HR side and on the product marketing side.

I do not agree with both of you @Drabiv and @afuchs :slight_smile:

While having a humanification consultant would come a long way, and be an improvement, the person in question should have access to the entire organization, including in the loop of decision-making at board level. Be able to influence strategic decisions and long-term direction of the company. And - because humanification advice is not a one-off - the person should be available on a continuous basis. I mean, strategic decisions continue to be made, and new products developed. Having a consultant for a fixed period of time only helps to improve the current situation.

And @Drabiv, having designers and product managers be in charge of this doesn’t cut it. First of all a product manager has the product and its current or future sales targets at the top of the priority list. Humanification can easily be seen as something orthogonal to these goals. Furthermore, the humanification officer needs to have a view of the entire company, apply hers or his skills holistically. Needs an eye on what marketing is doing, monitor human resource management, and maybe even have some technical skills to judge whether proper privacy and security is enforced.

What is interesting is that the CHO could be a scaled-up version of an ‘Ethics Czar’ and maybe, maybe could even be a replacement for a HR manager (or a scaled-up HR manager, for that matter)

1 Like

PS, I copied my previous post to LI, and additionally added:

Note that the benefit of having a CHO (with access at board-level) is that you’ll be able to develop USP’s (unique selling points) that your competitors may not have.

I think the holistic view of ‘human-orientation’ that takes strategy into account, and is able to drive both product development, marketing and align the company culture to proper values can give significant competitive advantage. Especially in an age where consumer trust in companies is eroding due to focusing too much on only the bottom line :slight_smile: