Introduce Yourself

Hello from California. I’ve been in the software/hardware biz for over 30 years working as a writer. Also, UI design (or HID) is important to me. I only joined FB to connect with a friend in the UK; but now twitter has been a wonderful community for me to connect with dog lovers, talented writers/musicians, and others interested in cultural/social events/causes in all parts of the world.

Hi, I’m a p2p digital networking theorist, designer and activist. I think that all technology can be useful or harmful depending on the technical and cultural contexts of its use. I support human-centered design to develop personal agency and inclusive communities which efficiently pursue shared goals.

Here’s a recent essay which indicates current design priorities: Developing P2P Networking and Nonlinear Dialogue: Part One

Many of my works including Modular Organization Terminology are currently hosted on github. However, I’ll be advocating the development of a stable and flexible p2p distributed versioning and hosting system, probably within the Holochain community.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Jason. I’ve been working on Web sites and applications for 20 years now; these days I’m a self-employed consultant working with progressive advocacy groups and non-profits in the DC/NYC areas.

I’ve been concerned about these issues for a few years now. (Back in 2013 I wrote a critique of the way Twitter’s design choices guide users into self-destructive behavior, for example.) The central principle of my consulting practice is to design technology that empowers people instead of exploiting them; I’ve written a bit about what that means in practice.

It’s good to see people coming together to find constructive ways to address these problems. I’m interested in contributing.

Hello everyone!

My name is Luis Astray Liste I am an expert in ERP and GRP and in the use of automatic generation of programs using artificial intelligence software.

I am interested in the Humane Tech movement for two reasons.
As a general user, because I notice the degree of addiction that causes the use of apps on devices today.
The second reason is to try to understand together how the future of society will be channeled to the extent that the owners of artificial intelligence and artificial intelligence itself takes over the environments for which we are naturally prepared to govern and which we will surely lose.
I would like to contribute with a vision from the underdevelopment economies of Latin America, which I have lived for years and with the contrasting optics of living in Washington DC.

1 Like

Hi my name is Carmen. I’ve been working in technology for last ten years. I have three boys and sadly have cut 95% of all tech out of their lives as I’m just not a proponent based on time spent in the field as well as my personal time.
I hope to meet with others who would like to form new ways to better introduce technology and usage for children both at home and school.

3 Likes

Hello. I learned about time well spent and the our dysfunctional relationship with social tech about a year ago, as we started navigating the online world with thoughts of our children’s representations there. I started simply enough with NOT sharing images of them. Then, the rising power of data gatherers Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Apple settled into my consciousness and I don’t like it for a variety of reasons. So, we need to build something better, and maybe I can help. In the immediate term, I’d love to start meetups here in Vermont to talk about this topic, since VT has a LONG history of social justice activity. So, if there’s canned content I could use to fly the Center for Humane Tech banner here in VT, I’d welcome it. I also have friends in the socially responsible investing space that this issue could speak to.

That said, I am concerned that “The Truth about Tech” campaign could inadvertently cast a pall over companies doing good things, so hoping that the messaging there is thoroughly vetted.

Hello! I’m a recovering attorney. Access to technology fundamentally shaped the way I practiced law, and continues to shape my daily life as I manage a design firm. I’m struck by the disconnect in how the general population is able to quantify and assess privacy risks (see, e.g., people freaking out about the Amazon in-home package drop program but allowing Alexa to actively listen 24/7). I’m concerned about weaponization of attention, especially as it’s used to manipulate our public discourse. And finally, as a parent, I’m here to listen and gain skills so I can help my children develop the tools they’ll need to live productive, happy lives in an increasingly complex and digitized environment.

2 Likes

Hi guys - Tudor here, a lawyer working with tech startups and entrepreneurs and previously a team member of several startup-oriented events.

I am doing freelance work & trying to build a network of consultants that do work on their own time, without being constrained to always be connected. I’ve been in contact with Tristan’s work for more than 1.5 years now, glad to be here!

Hello! I’m from Belgium and I’m actually a digital counsellor for the Government. As I’m not an english native speaker, please excuse me for the mistakes I’m sure I’ll make!
I’m here 'cause a mother of 2 kids and fighting to take them away from all kind of screens. And of course, in my job I have to decide for politics and strategies to ensure jobs and wealth for the citizens but I don’t want us to be so into technologies that we loose our happiness.

So I took a look and found this website, but there are some things that I don’t understand… First, why propose a system of badges for people posting here? This kind of system ensure people are posting back to have more badges and it’s a kind of addiction in itself. (It’s promoting online presence, reading, acting, … just like our facebook newsfeeds). Second, I see there are time just beside the posts, even telling me for how long (in minutes, not days!) the post has been sent. And telling me how long it would take to read all the new posts in here. I know people here a pro’s and knows better than me, but I feel like this website design is not in line with the philosophy!

3 Likes

Thanks for creating this community.

This is me, I am based in Asia, and I’m happy to support and help in any way I can.

Regards, Meri.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m Chris and I’ve had a range of roles around business and technology, particularly algorithmic trading, which included social media analysis. The crux of my worries is that technology is driving humanity, rather than the other way around. Technology is taking humanity on a gradient descent into either a homogeneous Utopia or a Dystopia, but I fear that it is the latter. Whether it is a story by Kurt Vonnegut or an episode of Black Mirror, what is clear is that we have a crisis in meaning and that we have created a monster with the potential of consuming humanity without us even realising.
I’m here primarily to listen to the views of others.

Hi, i’m Ley from Donetsk, yes, the current conflict-zone. Mainly struggling to reduce the time my kid spends online, making the internet a better place by providing the true facts about events here for a close group of my friends living all the world. Worked as a journalist and copywriter, photographer, now teaching adults to speak foreign languages. I probably can help you to understand what social networks and internet mean for people living in a war-zone. Have a nice day, everyone, glad i’ve found this place

3 Likes

Hi.
I am Lena, a UX Researcher, located in Berlin. I am convinced that every technology should support humans and society and not vice versa. I think it’s very important to create solidarity and understanding between people, so I am very grateful for this community.
And I am currently thinking about to create a personal, face-to-face network in Berlin. So, if anybody here is up for it, please let me know.

1 Like

Hello everybody,
THANK YOU!! This topic is a huge concern for me.

• Big enough that we’ve developed our own app ‘Janu’, as a COUNTERPART to Social Media: AI for shared experiences in real life!
  • At the same time I have been doing PR work in Germany & Austria for a while: to develop an awareness in society. If the user understands how social media works, how it makes it dependent … then it should only be half as bad! “Knowledge is power”

I am very happy to finally have found my colleagues! Let´s save society! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello, We are a diverse group of business technologist committed to protecting user privacy, but providing real value to the user. Very pleased to find this group of like minded people. It is YOUR data and YOU should CONTROL what happens to it…period!!

Looking forward to learning more about this org and to get feed back to help us produce ethical useful app that will help people.

Great to be here!

Hi everybody,

I’m Olena and, like a few others here, am from the NYC area. I have a background in statistics, but currently work with animals at an animal hospital.

My primary concerns are
(1) how to separate and save the positive effects of technology from the negatives and
(2) how to remove those negative effects from children, who I believe are especially susceptible to them.

I’m so happy to see an organization seriously take action on this problem!

3 Likes

Hi, I am Ana and I am a PhD candidate in Human Geography (Spain). What brought me here is a mix of curiosity about the power of technology to shape our current reality and also some sort of self realisation about how technology, especially social media, changed my capacity to engage in deep intellectual work. I am also concerned about the fast growing on the use of algorithms in social sciences analysis. I believe this has a significant impact on the way we comprehend social issues in general, meaning that there is a risk of eliminating nuances that are present in the social context and will not be reflected upon or carefully addressed in our academic studies. Thanks a lot for raising this debate!

1 Like

I’m a nurse and parent. I’m relieved to find a forum In which others are concerned about the impact technology on kids education and development.

Hi, my name is George. I’ve been working in the Silicon Valley for 18 years. I’ve been working mostly in AI space. Created and sold my own startup in the enterprise analytics space. I’ve become concerned with the addictiveness of the social media about 4 years ago. The social media has become so addictive that I wouldn’t let my young kids anywhere near it. I am also blocking most of it from all of my computers. There was an option to join the Facebook community. I am blocking the Facebook, so I won’t be able to do this! :slight_smile: I would like to figure out what I could do to alleviate the social media threat to the country.

4 Likes

I am Granny Ruth of the Palo Alto based Raging Grannies Action League. Excited to have this community and especially appreciate the concern for children’s welfare. We are activists for peace and freedom; we desire freedom from technology’s ability to control our thinking via social media and the use of technology to enhance warfare. There is a sculpture in Palo Alto called Digital DNA that calls into question our use of technology. This sculpture is slated for removal by the City of Palo Alto. It is an issue of controversy in our city because many Palo Altans appreciate its message, while the city wants to remove it.

5 Likes