Introduce Yourself

Hi everybody, my name is Mike Natanzon and my background is in economics and architecture. About 4 years ago I became painfully aware of the serious polarization, hatred, distrust and so on in social media. I tried to figure out what led to this - back in the day people were talking about how great it was that billions of people have access to information and can connect with each other on the internet. At some point I realized that the root of the problem is the perverse incentives that dictate how Google and Social Media companies generate revenue - through advertising based on ratings. Over the past 4 years the situation only got worse, and we see the effects of it spill over into real life.

I realized that the only way to alter this trajectory is to come up with a new business model that isnā€™t based on ratings and advertising. Iā€™ve been working on this challenge for the past few years, and came up with both a business model and a technological solution that I believe can be a real game-changer in how we interact with social media. Iā€™m now finishing the prototype of this tool and looking for people to collaborate with so that we can reclaim social media so people can learn and connect with each other.

Iā€™m glad I found this community because I see there are so many people here who understand the problems in social media today and looking for ways to make things better.

4 Likes

Hi there.
My name is Alberto SĆ”nchez and I am a final year student in the ā€œbachelor in management information and digital contentā€ at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in Spain. I am deeply involved in digital wellbeing, and how UX built unethically affect peopleā€™s lives. I want to change that and Iā€™m here to help. Feel free to reach me at LinkedIn if you want.

1 Like

Hi Helene! Iā€™d love to connect. I just added my email to pronoā€™s email list and will also send you an email as well for a zoom/hangout.

Massimo, nice to meet you! Where can I learn more about the ā€œPlatform Ethicsā€ module?

Nice to meet you Tiffany! Iā€™m also a compliance practitioner, would love to connect. One thing Iā€™ve thought a bit about in regards to HTC is creating a compliance framework that companies can follow to guide them in being more principles about creating human tech (e.g. giving users choice; limiting surveillance capitalist forces; etc.). Let me know if youā€™d like to meet sometime/discuss further!

Hi everyone! My name is Eli Clein and my background is in UX and Product Design. Currently, Iā€™m a senior UX Design Major at The Savannah College of Art and Design and will be joining Splunk as a full-time product designer this summer. I am incredibly passionate about ethical and inclusive design, and I would love to jump in on any projects regarding those areas! Feel free to contact me via my website or LinkedIn

Hi all!

Iā€™m the founder of Public Sphere a social platform for thoughtful one-on-one audio based conversations between strangers. Weā€™re interested in training online citizens to engage with content, not just accept it, and to do so alongside others.

The platform match strangers for these conversations, sparking each session with a prompt on a universal problem of our time ā€“ providing the space to stumble onto meaningful ideas not discoverable alone.

Iā€™m committed to conversation as a tool of knowledge democracy and mutual self-improvement: a way for everyone to build knowledge together, in the face of an Internet that tells us we should settle for blind ā€œcontent consumption.ā€

The longterm plan for Public Sphere is to establish a cohort-based education platform focused on peer-to-peer knowledge sharing and mutual self-improvement. Each cohort will engage with one of the worldā€™s universal challenges, like climate change or conscious capitalism.

I am so grateful to have found this community, and would love to learn more about what everyone else is working on.

Please email me at jordansoufian16 [at] gmail dot com if youā€™d like to chat more about Public Sphere, or whatever youā€™re working on/thinking about :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome @jsoufian! Great initiativeā€¦ you may be interested to check out and maybe do something creative with argument maps.

1 Like

Hi Mike - Iā€™ve long pondered the same questions and Iā€™m really interested in your new business model and prototype. Hit me up (jfried at gmail dot com) if youā€™d like to talk more.

Josh

1 Like

I am Sarigama, a research student from India. I live in the intersections of cognitive science research, ethnography and technology. I am currently working on understanding ā€œframing effectā€ and its influence on individualā€™s response (decision making) towards climate change.

An advocate for climate action, I am deeply interested in systems and technologies that actively re-imagine ways to engage with the more-than-human world that surrounds us in a gentler manner. I am an active participant of peoplesā€™ movements and naturally, I love a good dose of politically charged conversation. Listening to Jaquinda Ardern or AOCā€™s in house sessions are my kind of jam!

I came across Time Well Spent movement and CHT close to three years ago and I loved the initiative, I have been following it ever since. Excited to be part of this platform, I see a great potential in this kind of spaces that bring like minded (and at the same time, diverse) people closer.

you can write to me at sarigama.yerra@research.iiit.ac.in or drop a text on linkedin and I would be happy to connect.

1 Like

I Bisca, I missed your anwser, sorry for that.
We are going in the coming weeks to release our product, POZZZ.
I hope it will be possible to share more info on HTC audience very soon. In the meantime, if you you want more info, you can check pozzz.com web site, it details design, features and launch price. Letā€™s stay in touch. Best, Alex

#introductions Great to be here
I am Roger Verhoeven from The Netherlands
Learn and write about Innovation/OpenSource/OpenAccess/DWeb/SocialMedia
and new uses of better Tech for the Society
Discover and use socialmedia like Mastodon/MeWe and moreā€¦
Read articles and research journals about new ways of Tech

My Blogs/SocialMedia

1 Like

Hello all :slight_smile:
My name is Melanya and Iā€™ve come to you after a year of social media/smart phone detox.
I am a career Tool and Die Maker/CNC Machinist, so not tech related unless you count programming G and M codesā€¦
My interest in joined is to meet others that feel as I do about building a more humane future for technology. I want to collaborate and help in any way that I can.
I noticed a sharp decline in my attention span, creativity and overall happiness soon after getting my first smartphone (2008) Since then, I feel as though Iā€™ve lost countless hours of my life to my phone. Iā€™m working on building a better, slower and more organic life for myself.
Nice to meet everyone here :slight_smile:

A great intent. Welcome to Humane Tech Community, Melanya :blush:

Hi there,

Iā€™m Olivia currently in Singapore working as a digital designer. Netflix brought me here :slight_smile:
Have scrolled through many introductions and in many of them I saw pieces of my reflection in them, so nothing much here to write.
Glad to have found this community and be part of it!

1 Like

I would love to meet you. I love your spirit. I am reachable at Gary (a t ) GetcourageNow (d o t ) o rg, especially if you like this argument:
Extensive research on all the movements that have led to the most positive improvements in humanity for the past 125 years have proven that the most effective strategy for achieving these gains has been that of nonviolent civil resistance. This strategy requires large numbers (EricaChenowethā€™s game changing research pegs it at 3.5% of the population, though if the army is not needed to defect, 2.5% will do) to have a sufficient level of moral courage to succeed. By moral courage I mean the willingness to for example go on strike, or risk arrest doing nonviolent direct action, commit to time consuming well populated week after week embarrassing vigils and business-stopping interventions that make a CEOā€™s or politicianā€™s life miserable, etc etc. ERGO: Would not the highest best use of technology therefore be to be able scale moral courageā€“to be able to identify and bring to bear the most effective behavioral levers for courageous action? And to create this tech as soon as possible, before the forces of greed, racism, and ignorance harness this same tech?! Interested in at least joining a brainstorm session with others like yourself? Gary at GetCourageNow -org

Sorry to be thick, but i am having a hard time finding a way to first introduce myself. I fear it might be because i replied to several peopleā€™s posts before introducing myself in that introductions section, because whenever I would go to the introduction section, i would only see my replies to people, including you, which i deleted, but still could not intro myself. Also, I am curious if you also like connecting people you know might have strong synergy and whose projects you like a lot. I am at gary@GetCourageNow.org and the Project Coordinator and chief psychologist and fundraiser there

1 Like

An interesting project @garykrane. Are you developing an open-source campaigning platform as part of the movement?

Hello Lowell!

Our project coordinator, Gary Krane (also in the discussion group) and I would love to meet you. We love your spirit. I hope you will reach us at Gary (a t ) GetcourageNow (d o t ) o rg, especially if you like the following argument as to what might be the highest, best and now, with Mother nature and democracy nearly in hospice mode, most urgently needed use of technology:

1. Extensive research on most of the movements that have led to the most positive improvements in humanity for the past 125 years have proven that the most effective strategy for achieving these gains has been that of nonviolent civil resistance. Sure, voting (good cop) is also essential. But without the ā€œbad cop,ā€ nonviolent civil resistance, movements fail.
  2. This strategy requires large numbers (2.5-3.5% of the general population to have a sufficient level of moral courage to succeed. By ā€œmoral courage.ā€ I mean the willingness to for example go on strike, risk arrest doing nonviolent direct action, commit to time consuming week after week vigils and business-stopping interventions that make a fossil fuel CEOā€™s or right wing politicianā€™s life miserable, etc etc.
  3. ERGO: Would not the highest best use of technology therefore be to be able scale moral courageā€“to be able to identify and bring to bear the most effective behavioral levers for morally courageous nonviolent action?
  4. And is it not critical to create this tech as soon as possible, before the forces of greed, racism, and ignorance harness this same tech before us to deploy violent tactics?!
    Interested in at least joining a brainstorm session with others like yourself to figure how how tech could do this and how to find the right team? Gary at GetCourageNow -org

Hello Leigh-Chantelle!

Iā€™m actually a vegan and animal rights activist of over 20 years as well! I hope you donā€™t mind this form text from our project coordinator, Gary Krane (also in the discussion group): We would love to meet you. We love your spirit. I hope you will reach us at Gary (a t ) GetcourageNow (d o t ) o rg, especially if you like the following argument as to what might be the highest, best and now, with Mother nature and democracy nearly in hospice mode, most urgently needed use of technology: