Introduce Yourself

Hi everyone! My name is Cristina, and I am currently based in the UK.
I have a background in cognitive psychology, and I have been working in a digital agency as a UX designer for more than 4 years.

I have always been interested in the relationship between technology and mind. I used to be (and still am, in a different way) really fascinated by persuasive technology. After working for a while in a digital agency and having to deal with a lot of different project though, the lack of an “official” ethical guideline started to really bother me.

So I started to do more research into ethical design and in particular on dark patterns (on which I gave a talk at SXSW a couple of years ago). Most recently, I have been looking more into positive friction in design, and how that can make us more mindful when using technology - or even better, how that can help us designers to create better and more balanced products for our users.

I only just found out about this movement and I am really excited about this!

I will give a talk on positive friction in design at UX cambridge in a couple of weeks. If any of you has some useful resources that could help me in my research, please do share! Or even if you just want to get in touch for a chat, it would be really appreciated.

Thank you all!

Cristina

1 Like

Welcome @john hopefully your efforts are working. Your list is similar to mine!! The email account is my focus now- I don’t know which one- have you tried proton mail? Is this secure?

Hello! My name is Nina Hersher. I’m an Oasis in the Overwhelm Facilitator and MSW individualized in digital culture and norms of connectivity in the 21st century. My professional experience lies at the intersection of ed-tech start-ups and mental heath. Much of the work I do involves teaching people about presence and mindfulness in the digital age so they can cultivate healthy relationships with others, and practice self-care to recharge themselves! My goals and values align with those of The Center for Humane Technology to work towards technology that protects our minds and replenishes society. I believe technology should rise up to support us, rather than deplete us.

I have a small digital wellness practice and am searching for opportunities to be part of larger tech wellness initiatives! If anyone is interested in connecting I would love to chat. You can reach me here, at nhersher@gmail.com, or through my website nourishinghabits.com.

Thanks to this wonderful group for your amazing work!

Sincerely,
Nina Hersher

I am in the middle of a fairly drastic career change and am looking to build my career in the Humane Tech field as a UX researcher. I am fascinated by what “makes people tic” and have a knack for getting people to open up and really pinpoint what is and isn’t working for them… to the point where I’ve always thought I could be then next Guy Raz or maybe just a decent shrink. I feel like these skills would be an asset in this industry and in combination with my background in Anthropology, education, and health advocacy–I might even bring a fresh perspective to the table. Currently I am looking at the UX Design program offered through OpenClassrooms.com (an Open Ed platform out of France). The course is a “master’s level certificate” which would be recognized as a master’s degree in Europe. It is affordable and apparently an effective, project-based learning tool. My question for this forum is simply: would a certificate in UX Design help me get my foot in the door with the Humane Tech industry?

Hello everyone. My real name is in my profile. I am an inventor who prefers to be called Hex, here at the CHT, because powerful people have engaged in a continued effort to persecute me and my elderly mother. I apologize that I posted here at the CHT without first introducing myself. I found the CHT after looking to join activist groups, both political and technological ones, all of which were unsuccessful. I believe that in order to be accepted into similar social groups, one must have compatible symbolic, tacit, cultural, and intuitive knowledge bases (epistemology). Although I have computer, legal, and communications skills, I do not actively use Facebook, Twitter, or social networks other than Youtube and Google. Here’s a five minute cartoon I produced in an attempt to be publicly heard on all my legal problems. https://youtu.be/NWnfceNMBmA I had to try to learn the law and defend my mother and me against attorneys and even our own home owner’s insurance who ganged up against us in order to smear us in the courts. Judicial corruption is thus an important issue to me; I think that the election of Brett Kavanaugh to the US Supreme Court, although devastating to all human rights, has simultaneously shed sunlight, the best disinfectant, on how and why judges may become dishonest. Although highly motivated to find a solution to my own legal problems, I must apologize again as I expect my work here at the CHT to be interrupted as part of this same systemic abuse, but I assure you all that as soon as this happens the interruption will only be temporary as I remain resolute to the greater goals of the CHT.

Last year, after studying the greater world’s most pressing economic, social, and environmental problems, I composed a contractual “Constitutional” document whose legal existence I claim to be unique as it is relegated to the unregulated internet; it is bound to intellectual property limits which demarcate the eco-spheres that exist within its greater global eco-sphere (possessing at least the same minimal “floor and ceiling” within each, much like the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution applies to all 50 States with their own sovereign general jurisdiction). http://airofusion.com/ghi/ One of my best life long friends had recently died in October of that year, and so I felt inspired to refer to ourselves as “digital pioneers” under our organizational name “the Global Human Initiative” on my own invention web-page. Please excuse my complete lack of social skills which has prevented me from fitting into political activist groups. These activist groups seek more hands-on approaches which are not native to the internet, such as applying political influence on the existing governments of all nation States (all bound to their physical borders and natural resources).

I stumbled onto this forum after viewing a Youtube video about the long awaited third generation of the internet (Web 3), a realization which I believe may be intimately related to the future of the 5G cellular network, a multi-systems network which I hope will be enhanced by the quantum computing revolution, especially as related to general artificial intelligence which I hope will then collectively and positively impact all of our lives. I believe that inhumane tech is driven by profit and attention feedback cycles… that are accepting and inclusive commercially-driven activity; a type of seductive “Pinocchio Pleasure Island” whose damages to society are creating “an Electronic Tower of Babel” made indiscriminately profitable by all utterances of the masses on the internet, whether or not such content be substantive. After just a few weeks I now value the CHT like my own family, but unlike my own brother who betrayed my mother and me, and it is this emotion which further drives my resolute objectives to entertain while educating, which I hope will result in a greater awareness of the inhumane tech problem, but alas I don’t think that will be enough. I therefore seek to connect all my story-telling efforts to my proposed “seamless” legal firewall (eco-sphere) union solution that aims to safeguard all of our private states of minds, away from the algorithmic tentacles of all Tech Giants, but also while permitting us all to voice our informed public political opinions in unison. I consider myself a good writer, and I too have a story to tell. http://airofusion.com/screenplay/ Please excuse its messy and incomplete status; it’s a work in progress as is also my overall understanding of the CHT.

Hex

Hi everyone,

My name is Justin Emery and I blog at https://mindful.technology/ on the topics of mindfulness & technology, distracting and addictive tech, etc. This ranges from reviewing meditation apps to personal habit change to looking into design/UX and business models that allow us to have a healthier relationship with tech.

I tried to take a principled approach in the design of the blog itself, as I described in this post on Mindful Web Design.

This community seems very much aligned with what I’m writing about so I look forward to getting involved and learning about what others are doing in this area.

2 Likes

I’m a former graphic and UX designer. I spent 13 years playing and working with websites and user interfaces for the screen all over the world. In 2008 I started transitioning towards body and mind technologies starting with yoga. I trained in dance and somatic education at Université du Québec à Montréal between 2013 and 2017.

Today I dance and I manage a non-profit in support of dance research for healthy relationships among dancers and between dancers and their practices.

I’m interested in taking part in research related to the phenomenology of our extended body, in particular the intra-action between a person’s nervous system and sens of self and the algorithms she interacts with.

I mostly operate in flesh and bone/brick and mortar settings. If you are on humane tech and live in Montreal please hit me up, or if you have projects where I could help, I’m also interested in traveling.

Hi! I’m Jorge Rudko and honestly happy that I was able to run into this particular community. I’m the author and publisher of “HACKED MIND - A Loss of Personal Freedom”, a book that challenges the reader to unplug from the matrix of cyberspace so we can understand what it is to be human again. For more information you are welcome to visit my website: http://www.jorgerudko.com

1 Like

Hi, my name is Becky and I’m glad to have found this community. I’m a writer who loves tech and the benefits it offers, but I am also concerned about the way we have let it control much of our lives. I look forward to supporting the community’s projects towards more humane tech.

1 Like

Hi my name is Peter Sullivan. I started focusing on personal technology in the mid-1990’s. I have a masters from Stanford in CS/Human Computer Interaction and took the very first class BJ Fogg did on Persausive Technology in 1997. I’ve worked at Silicon Graphics, Excite@Home, Interwoven and Netflix. I’m now the founder and CEO of Clear Light Ventures, a social venture firm focused on emerging environmental health issues and an environmental health funder. Currently my primary focus is on the health and developmental impacts of technology, specifically wireless and electromagnetic fields.

Full bio: http://www.clearlightventures.com/peterbio

1 Like

Hi everyone! Great to read these other introductions. I feel like this is the start of something wonderful.

I’m a writer, communications and marketing professional, and thoughtful skeptic of all technology (and at this point, of systems like capitalism). As I’ve aged (now 31), I’ve become much more of a luddite in my desire for simplicity and less noise in my life.

I’m also a Pisces, an ambivert, a “highly sensitive person” with high EQ, and have an innate desire to help people, help improve the world.

I live in San Francisco and am currently looking for a full-time gig that fulfills my need for purpose in my work.

-Alex

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Tamara, a media literacy and digital citizenship education policy advocate in the Boston area. Especially interested in the physical and psychological effects of media use and promoting balance and awareness through education and policy. Many thanks for this amazing effort.

3 Likes

Hi I am Christa. I am very new to this billboard market. I am not even able to figure out how to do introduce myself! I am limited to replies for now. I am unsure if this is allowed or not but I wrote a book and its free for unlimited kindle and amazon prime but it addresses the computer as a significant other 25 years ago. I also included in the many pages the results regarding self-efficacy 25 years ago and the interaction with computers. I use Mastery Learning, Behaviorism and Developmental theories to explain what will happen in the future. This is from 25 years ago which was rejected them. I include “cryto currency” because nothing is what it seems. I come from a background in psychology and software engineering. I understand theories in development change and new ones evolve but those classics never fail! I used a pseudonym but assure you I can tell you close to everything in the book! Currently, I no longer have access to what is available in Universities and keeping up on new “stories” is being relegated by AI. Humans are not as fast as AI but humans have imagination and judgment!!! We are approaching the symbolic but digital Fires of Alexandria. Just my opinion :slight_smile: The book is: Bitcoin (BTC): The Art of Artificial Intelligence Warfare

1 Like

Hey All —

My name is Jared Newman, and I’m a research analyst at a tech studio called betaworks. I (and betaworks) have been thinking a lot about the ways in which developers/designers/those in the tech community can build viable businesses that also prioritize ethical usage. In my mind, humane-tech apps are not non-starters.

Given this belief, I’m going to open up betaworks to Office Hours for anyone thinking or building or designing in this area. If you’re interested in chatting, reach out at jared@betaworks.com. I’m always looking to learn more and hope that we can use betaworks Studios as a physical space for NYC meetups for this community. Don’t be afraid to reach out!!

jared

2 Likes

Hi there,

I’m a 360 & 2D videographer based in New York, who used to work for media agencies as a marketing & content consultant. Having witnessed the scale at which people’s privacy and attention being traded for advertising dollars at the back end of media investment, the recklessness of tech companies’ venture into the grey areas of personal data tracking and privacy sales in their pursuit of profits, and the shocking lack of regulation in this industry, I feel angry and concerned. So I hope there is a chance for me to make a difference even a tiny bit on this issue.

Years of marketing work have taught me many practical skills that might be of use for you guys - I do photography, filming, video editing, audio recording and sound processing, special effects, and a bit of graphic design. And lately I started producing 360/VR films and programming interactive VR training. I’m a freelancer who still have to pay the rent, so may not have as much time as I want to contribute to the projects, but I’m usually free to help on weekends.

Here’s my reel: www.melodyliuna.com

Looking forward to learning more about the issue and solutions from you all!

3 Likes

My name is Dan and I’m a clinical psychologist and professor of psychology. My clinical practice focuses on health care professionals and trauma and I teach classes on the intersection of Buddhism and western psychology at Maitripa College in Portland, OR. I have a speciality in physician wellness, and my docs tell me that one of the greatest sources of stress is being forced to use poorly designed EMRs (electronic medical records) that negatively impact patient interactions and are dehumanizing for these docs who spent many years training to be healers and now find themselves spending a huge amount of time and energy on data entry that serves the billing departments needs more than it does their patents’ need for an empathic human relationship during their time of medical need or crisis.
I want to bring my expertise in mental health to the conversation about humane tech since dehumanization and its symptoms amount to a mental health crisis. I am also optimistic about the future of humane tech. I studied history in college, and recall that many technologies are “dirty” and harmful when first adopted and tend to “clean up” as people discover the negative impacts and then make improvements. I wonder if we can tackle inhumane tech the way we tackle polluting technologies. Also, I’ve been thinking about ergonomics and ways we’ve designed workplaces to be less stressful on the body. I wonder if we need a “mental ergonomics” movement to look at how tech can create unhealthy digital spaces that create unwanted mental strain, kind of like looking at how we can prevent and treat carpal tunnel of the mind and soul. Facebook as a pretty but poorly designed workspace that is appealing comfortable in the short term but harmful long term.
Final thought, I think we need to talk about what humans are for. I like Kai-Fu Lee’s work and appreciate his insights that machines can work but only humans can love. How can we design tech that supports our capacity to love? That would be humane indeed.

5 Likes

Hi,

My name is Gabriel Fonlladosa I am a graduate student in Digital Technologies and Public Policy at the department of Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy at University College London.

Prior moving to London I’ve lived in Paris, Montreal, Tokyo and Beijing where I have realised that tech addiction was a global phenomena - not limited by our different cultures.

In the framework of my master degree, I am currently working on a research paper related to the “ethics and the use of persuasive technologies” and would like to interview some leaders trying to develop ethical tech products.

I look forward to exchange and meet some interesting people part of CHT!

4 Likes

howdy, everyone… i’m a writer, artist, editor, community builder, and maker of strategic-yet-honest content. i first got online in 1992, and proceeded to write in, on, and about technology. in my work, i move between the worlds of literature, poetry, fine arts, journalism, DIY media, business, and culture. i’ve written for Wired, Mondo 2000, the Fringe Ware Review, Boing Boing, and the like, along with various newspapers, anthologies, and literary journals.

recently i led “The Dark Side of Digital Engagement” at Bend Design Conference, and my series of articles on kids and digital media appears in a local newspaper in Central Oregon.

i’ve wrestled with the physical, mental, emotional, and social consequences of online communication and its attendant addictions since long before anyone coined the term “social media.” however, ubiquitous wifi and smartphones pushed me (and, apparently, the entire American experiment in democracy) over the edge. i didn’t actually delete my social accounts until April 2018, when i read this interview with Jaron Lanier:

i laughed all the way through it. ‘One Has This Feeling of Having Contributed to Something That’s Gone Very Wrong,’ Jaron said, and captured the feeling so very well that the magazine used the quote as a headline. i decided what the hell. it’s my birthday, i’ll give myself a real present and nuke my social accounts!

i’ve been told that as a freelance writer and marketing consultant i can’t possibly do this. so far, the effect on my work has been fantastic. i did have to re-start an Instagram for one client, but otherwise, my time and brain are once again my own. my writing and other work have improved greatly as a result.

3 Likes

Hi my name is Deepali and I am a PhD student in UK.

My research is within the world of work-based New Communication Technologies (NCT) that people use at work and outside. However I am keen to understand the motivations, behaviours and choices that people are now consciously making towards the non-use, reduced or restricted use of these NCTs inorder to maintain an equlibrium and well-being in this constantly connected and information overloaded world.

I want organisations to understand and communicate to their employees the need to take time off from these NCTs to be more productive, humane and grounded. Besides they need to stand up as leaders to their employees and set a precedent and create a psychological contract that is beyond the pressures of NCT and social media and smart phones.

I am happy read that there are so many out there who feel the same and if anyone is happy to be a part of my research or contribute in way or form I am happy to connect. Till then I will read and learn and take in as much so I can make a difference, however small it may be

Thank you for taking time out to read this.

Best Wishes
Deepali

4 Likes

How does one summarise oneself so that there is even an inkling of relevance in what I write? It is like trying to get another cup out of an used tea bag. Rather than saying who I am, I tell you what I am up to (so much easier).

I’m working on an adventure series for young people to make them a little more savvy in how to deal with a tech enhanced world. Those interested can delve deeper on my Team Savv-i website.

The first book, Team Savv-i: The 10 Secrets of Cyberspace, deal with Digital Citizenship and sets an example how schools can become much more socially active using the Internet and improve the learning for their pupils.

The second book, Team Savv-i: Digital Whispers, explores how news emerges and massaged by the various interests and how to sort fact from fiction or at least be aware of the spectrum (not published yet).

The third book, Team Savv-i: Enhanced, explores the duality that exists in Singularity. To serve or not to serve. How our attempts to meet it halfway may leave our own humanity in tatters (at first draft stage after NaNoWriMo 2018).

I’m further working on ten illustrated adventure novellas, also using the Team Savv-i characters, but addressing a Tween audience and covering their issues as they stumble into the cyberworld.

The reason I’m using adventure narratives is to make the academic info more palatable. One librarian called my edufictional technique ‘mixing the veggies with the ice cream’, with the aim that they are so absorbed in the story that they don’t even realize they are absorbing critical information.

PS Any BETA readers out there to give me a helping hand would be hugely appreciated (casper@savv-i.com).

1 Like