further discussion

Our options seem limited here.

Deleted off topic post

1 Like

New York Times. April 3, 2018. Opinion. Don’t Fix Facebook. Replace it. By Tim Wu.

The author is arguing for a genuine alternative or competitors to facebook. This is interesting to Humanetech. I quote part of it. "Another “alt-Facebook” could be a nonprofit that uses the status to signal its dedication to better practices, much as nonprofit hospitals and universities do. Wikipedia is a nonprofit, and it manages as much traffic as Facebook, on a much smaller budget. An “alt-facebook” could be started by wikimedia, or by former Facebook employees, many of whom congregated at the CENTER FOR HUMANE TECHNOLOGY, a nonprofit for those looking to change Silicon Valley’s culture. It could be even funded by the Coproration for Public Broadcasting, which was created in reaction to the failures of commercial television and whose mission includes ensuring access to “telecommunications services that are commercial free and free of charge.”

3 Likes

This is very interesting indeed @anon74302558, and may be the reason of the strange silence of the founders, even after starting this topic…

1 Like

yes maybe @aschrijver

“Time is the fire in which we burn.” Just found this at your library. Can you say more about the library’s scope and your intentions?

Deleted off topic post

Thanks for explaining. It sounds like you’re offering people (just teachers?) the opportunity to create their own nets (closed systems, of course), using their own files. Is that right, or am I misunderstanding?

Deleted off topic post

1 Like

@anon74302558. Yes, it could be, dare I say, that social media may be more vaporous in the future. Human connection can not sustain itself on social media forever, at some point people will realize the connection they long for is not on social platforms. I think social platforms will solely become mass marketing venues with other ways of drawing people in. Anyways.,

1 Like

What do you mean by priming the pump? My daughters school used apps in kindergarten that gave too many visual rewards and the class never learned- so I hope you don’t mean trying something that hasn’t been research based in school. These kids have been the guina pig generation- and with tech it hasn’t gone so well from what I’ve seen.