Facebook Alternative, Looking for Collaborators.

Hi @creatinglake, welcome to our community!

A very beautiful site you have put together. I am fully behind most of the technology choices I see there, though they are complex technologies and many still in their infancy. The peer-to-peer, decentralized web movement is still very fragmented and facing lotsa challenges.

I am also on the Solid forum and wrote something about their most important challenge as I see it: The biggest challenges for Solid are not technical in nature. Most Solid devs are in academic circles, people formerly involved and still longing for Semantic Web. They are not really all that interested in ActivityPub, whose devs can be found mostly on Mastodon.

The standardization behind the technology stack is also problematic. The power of W3C has waned, and you find mostly just some loose community groups working on the standards. ActivityPub is full of holes and building an interoperable fediverse app requires studying the codebases of other implementations.

Regarding DAG, I am curious if you have particular technologies / projects in mind. Some interesting P2P technologies like datproject.org (and beakerbrowser.com) and also scuttlebot.io completely went their own way in their tech stack and they are incompatible with Solid, ActivityPub et al. Also they are implemented in NodeJS and will not work (well) on mobile for any time to come.

How do you intend to set up your project / platform? I would think that in F(L)OSS realms you will find most collaborators, and they value you being an open initiative and having OSS codebases too. I see you mention investment partners. But in that case opencollective.com or liberapay.com might be a better fit.

You may like my Investigating privacy-respecting online identity, data ownership & control solutions posts, and I am curious about your feedback. Also in the past we had a thread Towards the Vision of The Decentralized Web! that you may find interesting.

1 Like