Discussion on changing Community Mission Statement and Scope

(notice to readers: I moved @patm’s post to this location and responding here)

It is a nice slogan in a way. Did you read my last post in this topic? Before I started in my head I had the slogan “Aware of a better future” to represent the strategy (and scope restriction): “From awareness to solutions”.

I think the slogan you propose comes with the same caveats the original one of the CHT has:

• The scope of humane technology is too large. Our community will not be ‘building’ the future. We can only influence / contribute / help steer the direction on how mankind builds the future.

• ‘Healthy’ is about as vague as ‘Humanity’s best interests’ and does not say on which aspects we are focused

• The entire slogan may imply that we are about ‘digital transformation’ (technology-focused), and less about extending existing human values that existed for ages, to the digital realm.

I like the idea of a pyramid. It is similar to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. We could apply this concept to what our community is trying to achieve for the digital realm and bring our focus areas in that picture. So we could have a pyramid that from bottom to top has: Society, Freedom, Wellbeing

These 3 layers then constitute basic needs. On top of that we can define a 4th layer that does not need a focus group and is called Time Well Spent. Implying that if the first 3 layers are properly addressed (preconditions) then you have created a digital realm that is open to unlimited human freedom of expression, creativity, interaction, love, etc.

1 Like