Code for children's rights launched - ten principles for designers and developers

A few months ago, the Ministry of Internal Affairs, together with Leiden University and Waag Society launced the ‘Code voor Kinderrechten’ (Code for Children’s Rights).
The Code for Children’s Rights consists of ten principles with practical examples which designers and developers can use to safeguard the fundamental rights of children in digital services.

https://codevoorkinderrechten.nl/en/

Wonderful to see you here, Wendy, and welcome to Humane Tech Community :blush:

It is a pity that the principles themselves are in the Dutch language (but they are quite good, so designers might consider using DeepL to translate them), and that there’s no link preview. But the site is still young, I gather, so that may be added (if I don’t forget I may contact them and make a request for that). Here’s a quote from the landing page:

Apps and games play an important role in children’s lives. Children are also spending increasingly more time on apps and games.

Digital technology makes a valuable contribution to children’s development. However practice has shown that in the design of technologies choices have been made which are not always in the best interests of the child.

The Code for Children’s Rights consists of ten principles with practical examples which designers and developers can use to safeguard the fundamental rights of children in digital services.

And here are the ten principles listed:

1. Make the best interests of the child the primary consideration when designing

2. Involve children and their expectations in the design process

3. Ensure the legitimate processing of personal data of children

4. Provide transparency in a way that is understandable and accessible to children

5. Carry out a privacy impact assessment based on children’s rights

6. Provide a child-friendly privacy design

7. Prevent the profiling of children

8. Avoid the economic exploitation of children at all times

9. Avoid a harmful design for children at all times

10. Develop industry guidelines which are geared to protecting the interests and rights of children

2 Likes