animated terms and conditions

the most important part everyone skips on any software products specially social media are terms and conditions.and the maker of those products even try to hide as much as possible. for example : there are very few people among many millions who read terms and conditions but those are the things which matter most.
In my point of view we need to raise our voice in this issue to make everything clear among the people. i have one idea that social media giants and any other software giants need to make a clear video or animated video explaining their terms and conditions which can make people aware about their presence in social media and using them as well.
i just shared as this thing popped up in my mind and thought it could be a good thing for discussion.
thank you.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting idea. It’s ironic to think about the moment when we download a new app/visit a new website and there are terms and conditions/cookie policies always popping up for us to click “I agree” without us having the patience to go through the long-winding terms. Most of the time, it’s not that I don’t want to know how one company is going to use my data, it’s the way of presentation (pure text) that makes the process daunting…

There were experiments where people read the terms of conditions of some companies like Amazon etc and it took them nearly 9 hours to finish! I do not know what’s the thinking behind those companies. The current approach gives companies leeway to act “unethically” but claim there’s nothing wrong with it because it’s all in their Terms of services. I found a project online, Terms of Service; Didn’t Read, that collect terms of service from many tech companies and grade them into different classes. I just found this one by Facebook:

You give us permission to use your name and profile picture and information about actions you have taken on Facebook next to or in connection with ads, offers, and other sponsored content that we display across our Products, without any compensation to you.

This is essentially at the core of their business model, but there are people who do not know about the fact that their digital footprints on the platform are being exploited without any compensation. Your idea of making a video to explain would be quite helpful, but I am wondering what should go into the video, the most controversial ones like the aforementioned term? It’s impossible to include all of them either. But anyways, videos are much more engaging to me, even an infographic will be better than a long text. If a company is creative enough, they can make an interactive web page explaining their services. Making this process clear and concise is conducive to earn trust from end-users.

2 Likes

in my point of view this forum should suggest the united nations some ideas to make certain policies around the globe.
for an example: if the policy includes : every terms and conditions of every social media products should be explained clearly in animated or visual form, not exceeding one minute of explanation time.
if these rules come into implementation. then people can get enough information and awareness on what exactly they are signing into.
its my view. it would be best if we create one example making one group within this community.

1 Like

Probably most corporations want to make it as unclear as possible.

Either way, I guess the right question to ask is: would people still use/visit certain products/sites even when they know how they’re using their data? I bet most people wouldn’t even care–they’d agree any terms and conditions as long as they can use the product.

1 Like

@borja yes most of the people will still use those products . however the difference is : people will use it in conscious manner. using it in conscious manner make one raise their voices on need.
today people are silent because most of the people take terms and conditions and privacy policy as the thing to skip. they even dont know what are the risk factors or what can be the alternative to this in secured mechanism.

I’m not so sure. The lock-in effect is very powerful. And the social-pressure effect is even greater. If everybody is on these platforms, people who read and understand privacy policies will be there too.

I’m a privacy advocate. I write a lot about these topics. And yet, it’s hard as hell to not be on these platforms. I bet most people won’t even care.

What we can do, though, is to show people the real consequences of giving away our privacy. (I recommend you to read this.)

1 Like

yes it is very hard to change the mindset . eventually it has to be changed it will be changed . the irresponsible policies of social media have to be reviewed and changed they can’t go long because of their own working features.
for those things to happen this can be a starting point.