URGENT: Instagram New Privacy Policy Means No More Privacy?

Okay so this has been floating around:

I have been trying to confirm it but I have found no credible source! Can someone help me verify this to stop misinformation or confirm this?

I think the statement in that message is partially correct, but it is written in a sensationalist, hoaxy manner. The Instagram Terms of Use states the following:

We do not claim ownership of your content, but you grant us a license to use it.
Nothing is changing about your rights in your content. We do not claim ownership of your content that you post on or through the Service. Instead, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights (like photos or videos) on or in connection with our Service, you hereby grant to us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). You can end this license anytime by deleting your content or account. However, content will continue to appear if you shared it with others and they have not deleted it. To learn more about how we use information, and how to control or delete your content, review the Data Policy and visit the Instagram Help Center.

IANAL (I am not a lawyer) but to me that seems like anything you post can be used as if it was published in the public domain (and you are not necessarily attributed, but you retain the copyright).

https://help.instagram.com/581066165581870

1 Like

Was it always this way? I’m 99% sure it was always like that. And then I don’t think putting a post that tells them not to do it is gonna do anything :joy::joy:

The Verge covered this yesterday, in case you need any more info: https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826462/instagram-hoax-note-rick-perry-usher-celebrity-grid-ownership

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.