Rich Lota: How expensive tech is prioritized against basic life necessities

It can be a challenge for someone to reduce use of social media because they want to give time to family, they want to give time to other productive field.

The worst condition I have ever witnessed is people who cannot afford to build up a toilet are investing in high-tech cellphones for social media only and they pay hundreds of dollars to pay mobile data bill. May be i am sensitive but it’s worst condition that technology created in humanity in my point of view.

Defecating in open field i.e. not using toilet, has been a huge problem of the society of south Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Nepal etc. . Government has launched many programs to aware people so that they realize the problems that open defecation could create. And those programs have worked effectively after years of campaigns and promoting people to build a toilet at home. The main reason people didn’t use toilet was that they couldn’t afford one. To solve this issue government gave donations to build up toilets so that people could build a toilet in less than 40$(Forty DOLLARS) i.e. around less than 4000 Nepalese Rupees.

Now the situation has changed, people have enough money to build up a toilet but they are not willing to invest in toilet instead they are investing on high quality, expensive, cellphone. And investing their income in cellphone data usage every day.
Still there are thousands of families that defecate in open land, field, riverside and roadside. To see people around these places in the early morning going to open field for defecation is not a new thing.

However, the devastating thing that I have observed now is, people going for open defecation with 500$ cellphone. I personally call it “rich people with ‘Lota’ ”. Lota is a small handy bucket used to carry water. Since its handy people even use to carry water while defecating in open field.

An example I came across :
While I was jogging in early morning, I found some guys returning from a field after defecating, I asked one of them, what kind of mobile he was carrying and he answered Samsung galaxy note 8. And in the afternoon time I went to his home. I asked him how many phones and which brand of phones do they have in family. To my surprise they had two more phones with almost similar price range but not a single toilet for family.

Then I asked about the main matter that’s stopping from building a toilet which costs 5 times lower than price of their cell phone. They mentioned their economic condition is stopping them to build a toilet. Yes, they didn’t have a good economic condition. One of their young family member was in middle-east for labor work. Most of the youths from this area are in middle east for labor work. They earn around 300 to 400 per month.

They are buying 500$ cellphone for each of the family member and investing 100$ per month for cellphone data usage. Their toilet could be built up once for lifetime for whole family in 40$ or even in lower price.
Going middle east, they aim to work and earn good enough money to make their family economic stander better. However, the fact is different technology like social media and cellphones are pulling their source of income making no change in family economic condition.
Technology made such a devastation that people’s need of buying cellphone more important that building a toilet for home.
As the literacy rate is low in these villages people are unaware about the deep effect of social media and tech products.
It will be hard for people from developed countries to understand the sensitivity of this problem. We also have many psychological problems, addiction problems, and common social behavior problem created in kids in cities.

However, in my point of view, People who invest their family saving in cellphone and social media instead of building toilets and a good home, are more sensitive. Their problems are problem of humanity.

1 Like

@biswa Wordwide Nepal is known for its fearless world renowned soldier the gurkha, beautiful mountains, the nepal side of Mt. Everest and the tough sherpa who serve as guide and porter for those foreigners scaling mount everest. Here in southeast asia we look at Nepal in a positive way. No country is perfect. The issue that you were talking I think your people can solve it alone. Maybe educating them and you who is well aware of this issue could help. In my humble opinion you and your fellow nepalese more than capable enough to find solution to this issue by yourselves. No need to write it here imho.

hi @richard1, i am sorry if i make u feel wrong with my words. my intensions are not to defame my country or any other south asian country.
i think this is one of worst part that technology played in my place and places like mine. my post is to open discussion to solve these situation.
like a kid forgets his routine breakfast for facebook. same is the thing that a family man forgets sanitation for facebook.
i just wanted to light up the fact that social medias and tech products have more harms in economically backward regions. sorry if you feel any other way.
If this post seems to be unnecessary, i will delete it. i am sorry for inconvenience.

It seems like no one will talk, so I will.

I don’t feel offended after reading @biswa 's post. I see it as a post describing a local collateral effect of tech on human behavior. Maybe some people are shocked about it, but I’m not.

I also not in a position to judge anyone or if someone needs to post here or not.

Now, talking about the problem, it definitely a social problem. Therefore the solution isn’t easy and straightforward.

But I agree with @richard1 that education is an important tool because there seems to be a level of ignorance acting as a driving force to this behavior.

@richard1 said that people are capable of finding a solution. I agree partially because sometimes people need to be guided because they’re not aware of how creative, resourceful, and whole they actually are. But of course, they can find a solution.

I also believe in the power of community centers, religious temples, and schools in providing reliable information, and transforming the community. I wonder how they see this situation you reported. Are they trying to change it somehow?