Introduce Yourself

Hi there! Mamie here.

I’m a designer – of communities, environments, and experiences.

I grew up surrounded by technology. I was born the same year as the Macintosh, and I don’t remember not having an email account (I was on The WELL as a kid, for anyone who knows that reference!).

My dad writes about the social, political, and cultural impact of technology, and is often a bit ahead of his time. :wink: In 1996 he wrote about the future of surveillance in a piece called “The Shadow Side of The Information Revolution”… and in 2012 he wrote a book about the 5 essential literacies for thriving online: attention, participation, collaboration, critical consumption of information (or “crap detection”), and network smarts. Both pieces couldn’t be more relevant today. All that to say, that while I grew up “always on”, I was also taught how to think critically about technology and how to use it intentionally & mindfully.

I first met Tristan at Google (or maybe even at Stanford?) where I worked for almost a decade and remember when he first circulated his “Time Well Spent” deck on an internal Google+ post. I was so excited by how he clearly articulated the problems embedded in our current landscape of technology – and the ethical responsibility of those of us building it. I helped him plan his first internal community gathering to assemble Googlers who were similarly moved by his deck and inspired to take action, and it is AMAZING to see how this movement & community have grown.

Excited to get more involved and learn from all of you!

11 Likes