Have you tried strategies to manage the time you spend on your phone? [Research Interview Invite]

Researchers at the University of Washington are studying how and why people try strategies to manage the time they spend on their smartphone. We hope this research will help people manage their phone use more effectively.

We want to interview smartphone users about their strategies:

• Duration: About 60 minutes
  • Location: On the phone or in-person on the University of Washington campus
  • Thank-you gift: $20 Amazon gift card

If you’re interested, please complete this 5-minute survey:
www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4300680/strategies-to-manage-phone-use

Kai Lukoff (kai1@uw.edu)
PhD Student
Human-Centered Design & Engineering
University of Washington

1 Like

Hi Kai,

Thanks for posting! This seems like valuable research that is related to the topics of the CHT. But could you disclose a bit more information to other members, before they fill in a survey, and also how you treat the data they provide? I ask this also from a perspective of CHT principles :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi there,
Great question.

This is short screening survey to identify people who are interested in participating in our interview study. If you meet our inclusion criteria of having recently tried strategies to manage the time you spend on your smartphone, we then request your contact information and basic demographic information.

This information will only be visible to members of the University of Washington research team. It will be used only for the sake of this study and not shared with any third parties. All personally identifiable information from the survey will be erased at the end of the study.

1 Like

Quick update: We’re still looking to interview 5-10 more people about how they manage their smartphone use. If you’re interested, please complete this 5-minute survey:
www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4300680/strategies-to-manage-phone-use 3

We’ve also decided to release a public tool that asks people what concerns they have with smartphone use and then recommends strategies that can help them manage. Let me know if you’re interested in this project!

Hi. I’m very interested! We are launching mindhood.com at Dartmouth college this summer. I’d love to be in touch.

Ssreynolds08@gmail.com

Susan

Hi Kai!

This is a subject that I’m highly interested in as an undergrad student in sociology. Do you have anything published yet in this subject or any tips on similar studies? I’m thinking about doing something similar but focusing on managing social media time.

Freja