Exemplar of Humane Tech Social Network: MeWe

I joined the Solid (the decentralized technology driven by Tim Berners-Lee) discourse forum yesterday, and came upon this MeWe related post by Mr. Berners-Lee:

His reply:

Yes, I can! Mewe is a social network which has been around for a while. It is different from many in that it does not do bad things with user data. It has a privacy bill of rights. I have supported the concept because a social network which respects privacy is a good thing. Yes Mark and I chat every now and again. Disclaimer: I have some shares. I use it to a certain extent as well. I have (not surprisingly) suggested that they should give every user automatically some solid space - a solid pod. I don’t know whether their engineering team will be able to pull it off before anyone else! But to go back to their core mission, to respect user’s privacy, they deserve respect for that – whether or not they are solid compatible. People who have found the abuse of privacy elsewhere frustrating have ended up there.

Interesting discussion ensues. Google is shutting down their Google+ social network 3 months early because of a data breach, and a huge mass of users are now looking to find a new social media home. MeWe is trying to get a good share of that pie.

There is also mention of OpenBook looking to incorporate Solid into their social network (though they will continue to be a centralized for the time being).

Also the discussion drew my attention to MeWe’s Privacy Bill of Rights, which is rather cool and fits in with our project idea on Digital Rights:

1 Like