Does using alternative web browsers and search engines make a difference?

At some point I will write an article/ post like “A non-techies guide to Internet privacy” @ssreynolds. It took me quite a bit of research that I can hopefully save others.

I found another search engine to add into the mix, Goo:

This one isn’t an ethical or privacy-respecting search engine, as far as I know. But it’s useful because it is powered by Google. I normally use DuckDuckGo (powered by Microsoft I think) but often I can’t find what I’m looking for there for anything more than pretty simple searches. So normally I’m forced to use Google for those.

So when I need Google power for hard searched, instead of Google, I use Goo. I actually like the interface better as it seems cool to see things in Japanese. The only downside is that for simple searches you’ll get many results in Japanese. However, if you write longer searches you should get the results in whatever language you are typing in.

Note I always open everything in private browser windows and also run an ad blocker. Both of these are an absolute must for the most basic protection. I set my browsers to open in private mode by default, which should be the default for everyone, all the time.

1 Like