Discussion on changing Community Mission Statement and Scope

Yes, indeed, ‘Our’ can be omitted. Maybe change ‘awareness’ with ‘best-practices’? And do you prefer ‘serves’ more than ‘benefit’?

Edit: Addition of ‘Our’ makes the message feel more personal, less formal, though. But omission has broader applicability (e.g. animal wellbeing)

I think its safe to assume this problem is so big we won’t be thinking about animals in this context- at least where I live people are so distracted their kids are wandering into the streets and standing in the middle of doorways and street corners obstructing foot and car traffic… etc… it’s obvious we’re talking about people. It would be nice to consider animals- but we can’t save the world- we need to save our experience as humans.

The words well-being and society assume the context of humans as well…

“Best practice” and “benefit” might drive away less educated individuals. There maybe a more catchy word than awareness…

We could change the slogan all together. Should we define ourselves in our slogan?
Maybe have a short slogan and then a short 2 sentences explaining what we’re about.

This just popped in my head…

“Community for Conscious Technology- protecting and respecting our wellbeing, freedom and society”. Of course this changes more than we wanted. I like the word conscious.

I think this is similar to what I refered to in this previous comment.

Don’t know about ‘conscious technology’… It sounds vague, needs an explanatory definition to understand. Plus I think it also doesn’t speak to less educated individuals. And ‘digital’ needs to be added as well. ‘Protecting’ is not needed, because it is already implicitly present in ‘respecting’.

Your slogan could be reformulated as: HTC - Spreading Consciousness Of Digital Technology That Respects Wellbeing, Freedom and Society. Could also be ‘Spreading knowledge…’

Note that ‘Technology’ is also not needed. It can be replaced with ‘Solutions’, e.g.:

HTC - Promoting Digital Solutions That Improve Our Wellbeing, Freedom and Society

Disadvantage of this slogan, is that we can be perceived as a tech community, but we are about all humanity (real world + digital world)

Basically

is more about against negative effects of actual digital technology (kids standing in the middle of the street absorbed on their phones), while

is more about encouraging positive effects of some actual and desired digital technology.

They are both important aspects, I don’t know how to sum them up in a short slogan…

Got it I see what your are all saying- makes total sense. Scratch the conscious thought process;).

How about this one minus the word digital like @aschrijver said above and minus a few other words to make it easy keep people’s attention.

HTC - Promoting Solutions to Improve Wellbeing, Freedom and Society

2 Likes

I like the idea that solutions can be also non technological, i.e. meditation, breathing exercises.

2 Likes

I created a picture that reflects the previous discussion (just used OpenOffice, so colors and artwork suck):

(First draft. Needs some improvements)

The pyramid can be named: The Pyramid of Needs

I don’t think it’s useful to make this strict distinction between digital realm (where time well spent applies) and real world (where wellbeing, freedom and society apply).

I see things more blurry, all layers of the pyramid are in the world we habit (mix of real and digital). We have to raise awareness (promote solutions) targeting all people living in this complex world, which then, each one acting as their role in the world (doctor, politician, company employee), will think and behave accordingly.

Slogan

Hmm, yes, I think you are right. I wanted to make the distinction to highlight the journey that many people need to make to go through awareness to solutions. The real world has existed for a longer time, and therefore we are used to how things work more than in the digital realm, which has risen quickly and in a very disruptive manner.

The real world and digital world need to be in balance with each other… a balancing act. Harmony. I wanted to express that. We focus on improving the digital world, where we perceive the harms of technology to fix.

Okay, another version:

Or:

humanetech-community-mission-vision2

Note: Should maybe make it something like “pyramid of digital alignment”,

I like this- there is a loose reference to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs which is know to people in life sciences and health fields. See the Wikipedia info- there are similarities- not meant to change pyramid of needs you posted here. We could call it something else- to connect the two - Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is all about getting what you need- food water at the bottom as the foundation- each level builds on the next. The next level does not work without the foundation of the lower levels. Wikipedia can probably explain this better;)

Yes, Maslow is what it is based on, and I got the inspiration from @patm’s picture showing a pyramid (see: this comment).

We can refer back to CHT’s original slogan by mentioning ‘Alignment’. We align wellbeing, freedom and society in the digital realm, to how we understand these concepts from the real world.

So then it is the Pyramid of Digital Alignment and in the picture it can just say ‘digital alignment levels’ as a byline.

2 Likes

@patm @aschrijver yes Pat’s pyramid reminded me of Maslow needs… looks great guys- good work.

1 Like

Great graphic, @aschrijver. Thanks, everyone, for all the good brain work.

1 Like

Thank you Pat.

I would like to know from all of you if we have reached a workable slogan (plus image) to build upon, and present to the community at large.

If we adopt this we can also make some great changes to the forum organization and community website, that bring the same clarity. In Open Leaders next week we can do the further refinements and have time to think on proper follow-ups and priorities.

We still need to define more clearly what benefits we like to get from OL7 program, so we can be really productive.

So @patm, @micheleminno, @healthyswimmer (and other staff welcome to vote too) :

• Yes, let’s go with current slogan and image
  • We need to discuss this a bit more

0 voters

Yes

Yes

Great work everyone!

1 Like

Thank you all! I will close this topic, and create a new one that replaces the current public pinned mission discussion.

1 Like