Update on status of HTC & CHT (Tristan Harris's org)

Just wanted to chime in quickly as a CHT representative (I’m our head of mobilization, so I lead the CHT-branded movement building work.) I want to second what @aschrijver and @micheleminno have been sharing: HTC used to be a forum on the CHT website, and developed enough of its own leadership and perspective that it is in the process of developing into an independent, closely partnered entity. Our values and work are closely aligned, and CHT maintains a good relationship with the HTC forums. As @aschrijver mentioned, the mitosis is happening because we realized that the two groups are best at different things.

HTC has built itself as an open, transparent community of people to support one another in moving towards humane technology. That’s very needed, and something that we at CHT very much want to see exist.

CHT’s mission is to change the way that technologists build products, and we’re lucky enough to get invited into a large number of conversations where we have the opportunity to do just that. Unfortunately a lot of the people who invite us into those conversations want them to be confidential (for good reason), so we’re not able to be as transparent as HTC about everything we do. We do a lot of convening experts to discuss critical problems in humane tech, sometimes people pulled from HTC, but we tend to have focused conversations about specific issues rather than the more open conversations that happen here. If you’d like to join one there are always public conversations around our podcast, we’re working on hosting more of these conversations more regularly.

I hope that helps!

4 Likes