The Anti-Work Phenomenon: Can you explain it? (plus, a new perspective on Work)

As the next sentence in that article summarizes Aristotle: “In other words, people who are too busy working don’t have the time to perform their civic duty or develop sophisticated morals.”

Look at another recent (mini) discussion here triggered by the NYtimes op-ed video about the myths of recycling: The Great Recycling Con - #3 by LaurenceHerbert

As @LaurenceHerbert wrote there: “‘But somehow, despite being so busy, we’ve all been sleeping’ … I believe it’s because we’ve been so busy that we’ve been sleeping. The endless and enormous level of distraction out there is the real culprit, locking all of us into anywhere but this moment. Present moment awareness sees right through the distractions. It sees them as the illusions that they are as opposed to the reality that they pass themselves off as being. Present moment mindful awareness has done and can continue to work absolute wonders in this world. Pass it on, as they say!”

Interesting right?? Looks like we are getting on the same page now. (or have been, but it’s been “revealed”… :-P). Yet, as I’ve written above, I’m going to be an advocate of the “Work–Anti-Work” Duality Principle (just coined the term, not sure if it is accurate), which I’ve described to some extent in my earlier comments [1] [2], and then alluded to in [3] [4] [5]

Basically, I’m trying to re-define “Work” as the good virtuous activities - it can include hard, strenuous but unpaid or underpaid volunteer work, as well as leisurely learning or playing, among other things. And the opposite of it becomes “Anti-Work”. The problem with our world is, there’s more Anti-Work than Work, hence all the other problems. It seems to me that this is because of “Bad or Weak Governance”. My wish is that our job market changes so that all labor becomes “Work”. And all leisure leading to virtuous outcomes is also “Work”. Are you getting the overall picture (that I’ve been trying to draw) better now @Free?

As you’d said…

Yes, we should follow economics! Rather, we should follow “Economics”, I would say. See, “Economics” and economics are different. Your economics is the real-world phenomena shaped over time, including the currently unhealthy “Demand-Supply” cycle. Sure, I like the free-market economy and the invisible hand, but without “Good Governance”, it becomes extractive, exploitative like we see in our world now. So what is “Good Governance”?? I’d written earlier

This could be the “Good Governance” right? “the “Invisible Hand” of the Supply-Demand cycle needs to be made to consider & determine whether the actions being done/planned are Work or Anti-Work, if we want to ensure better jobs, better outcomes and better lives for more and more. In short, the Greater Good.”

The above sentence can be shortened by folding (to keep only the bolded words) to read:
The “Invisible Hand” of the Supply-Demand needs to be made to consider & determine the Greater Good.

Now please read the second part of [6] starting from “Let’s jump to a 10, 20 or 100 years in the future…” till the end.