Tech ethicist “career path”/ “education pathway”

idea
collaborate

Cool! Philosophy and ethics, if they interest you. Unfortunately at the bachelor’s level it’s most likely just going to be a few courses. So load up on the humanities, the ones specifically dealing with society, its problems, diversity. I took 2 humanities and philosophy courses as an undergraduate which I remember to this day. Psychology. Again don’t let your electives go to waste, use them wisely as in US universities they can sometime be more valuable than the main topic of study! Perhaps some kind of minor will fit in with these courses.

On aside I did a quick search and University of Arizona already offers a tech/science ethics Masters degree. Some other universities such as Delft (the little Dutch village where the former community leader lives) offer courses and online courses on tech ethics and research the topic.

3 Likes

I would consider getting a Masters if I can do tech ethics. We should make some kind of list of colleges that offer tech ethics majors/bachelors/masters/minors maybe.

3 Likes

I’m going to make a Wiki post so that this can be further developed, and so I can map out what I’m doing so others can follow!

4 Likes
Tech Ethicist Career Path Wiki

In undergrad I took quite a few great classes on ethics and technology. They ranged from intro to advanced level and they were always taugh by someone very passionate in the field. I’d recommend checking out the Information Science/Computer Science department to see what classes your particular school might offer.

1 Like

Yep, I minored in philosophy with an EECS major. I would recommend at least as much.

2 Likes

It’s my impression that many ethicists in the tech world have PhDs or Masters - or work in the tech side on UX, AI, - I speak from an ethics background on the blockchain/governance side from a communications skillset.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input and welcome to the community! I was considering getting a higher degree if it meant achieving my goal. If you have any resources please add them to the wiki post!

Before all the knowledge and experience of today’ world, at the university in ‘99 I chose philosophy, I did three exams there which I really liked (logics, aesthetics and theoretics) and then I didn’t know what to do more there and decided to switch to computer science, where then had a specialization in AI.
Now you can plan your university career much better and in advance, you are already aware of a lot of things you want to do and besides this, philosophy and computing are much more on the same track than twenty years ago…

2 Likes

Cool! Thanks for the advice y’all. Lets keep this discussion going. I want to hear from all sorts of people to learn about this field!

I am a Philosopher, and techfrik, I thinks I will be good get a major, on philosophy and then get your structure on your mind, and then it will be a piece of cake any technology which is the most elemental thinks structure of the brain.
Because is pure logic

3 Likes

Thanks for the input and welcome to the community! If you have an resources you would like to share, feel free to add them to the wiki post.

1 Like

The University of Colorado Boulder has a PhD program that comes to mind for carving out a career as a tech ethicist.

https://www.colorado.edu/graduateschool/information-science

This university is home to professor Casey Fiesler, who has been instrumental is piecing together the various tech ethics curricula being used across the US (and globally):

You may also want to be connected with the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University:

https://www.scu.edu/ethics/

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your input! I will definitely check this out!

Do y’all think its possible to have a Bachelors in EECS and do a Masters/PhD in ethics? Is that even possible? :joy::joy:

Heads up to anyone still reading this thread:

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo offers a Ethics, Public Policy, Science and Technology minor.

Link to Minor Website

The link is HTTP unfortunately

1 Like

The question is more like what you could possibly do with a degree in ethics. I would guess the career path is generally assumed to be academia, meaning becoming either a researcher or lecturer.

There is are many smart people saying that college isn’t always worth it, especially if it is expensive and the student’s parents don’t have loads of cash. The thinking is that if somebody actually wants to learn, they can take free online courses or find the same information in libraries. So actually in the US college therefore is more like an expensive club and here is the extremely strong correlation showing just that:

My brother actually has a Masters in something similar, which he has never really used. I will not mention the name or put a link as the cost to buy this degree is now 28,000 pounds per year.

So actually we should really be thinking of college degrees as a business, kind of a big show that takes advantage of young adults. Unless the student is wealthy, that means they are literally taking this money from young people. Not worth going into debt for. Though Cal Poly is a better deal than the rest.

I would recommend working first (no need to rush right in), and then going to college a couple of years later if your career needs it. Unless you want to be an academic or you know your career and it absolutely requires a degree, then it makes sense.

Not necessarily. Two excellent examples of fellow HTC members who have different careers, both influencers and working/worked in or for business are @tristanh and @DavidRyanPolgar.

Regarding Ethics as a field of study … though being a noob in the field … I would think that this is better as a specialization to add later in life, after doing a study in some other field. Always keeping Ethics in mind during your career path, but ‘learn’ ethics by experience, and only than walk the paths of theory to reinforce your own grasping of ethical concepts.

1 Like

Sure though I don’t know that dangers of making ethics your main focus. If you love it so much, that is your passion, then it it can be given full attention from the start and you can rise all the way to the top of the field if you decide early on that is what you want to do and are therefore more committed early on than other people. The main risk I think is that ethics is a very small field.

2 Likes

My major would be EE (electrical engineering). My minor (not main focus but you still get some kind of credit for it) would be ethics or public policy

3 Likes

Happy to say I am going to a college that supports my getting a EE B.S and an Ethics minor! Thank you, everyone, for all your help! <3

3 Likes